Matar Paneer is a North Indian Paneer recipe. It is a very simple yet delicious recipe. Its fuss free recipe. Paneer pieces and green peas are simmered in spicy onion-tomato gravy. It is very popular dish. You can find in almost all Indian restaurant menu. My family love this curry. I do make it once a month as this is light and healthy. Today I have made this gravy without adding any heavy cream so it’s very healthy. But you can add heavy cream if you wish to. Matar paneer goes very well with Roti, Plain Paratha, Naan, Kulcha or even with Rice.
Serves 3 to 4 people
Paneer cubes – 250 gms
Matar / Green Peas – 1/2 cup (I have used frozen)
Roughly chopped Tomatoes – 4 medium size
Roughly chopped onion – 1 medium size
Garlic – 4 cloves
Ginger – 1″
Cashew nuts – 7 to 8
Chili powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Kitchen king masala – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Cumin and Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Pinch of turmeric
Sugar – 1 tsp or as per sourness of tomatoes
Kasuri methi – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Ghee – 1 tbsp
1. Heat ghee in a pan. Add paneer cubes in it and saute paneer from both the sides until golden brown in color. Keep it aside.
2. Heat oil in another pan. Add cumin seeds. when cumin seeds crackled, add ginger, garlic, cashews, onion and tomatoes. Saute it for 10 minutes over medium heat or until everything is fully cooked. Let it cools down.
3. Take this onion tomato mixture into blender. Grind it and sieve it very well.
4. Place this gravy into a pan. Switch on the flame. Add chili powder, coriander and cumin powder, turmeric powder, kitchen king masala, kasuri methi and sugar. Mix them well. Cook this gravy for 5 minutes over medium heat.
5. Add paneer cubes and green peas into this gravy and again cook it for 8 to 10 minutes over medium heat.