Malai Kofta is classic North Indian curry originated from the Mughlai Cuisine. Koftas are made with Potato and stuffed with paneer and dry fruits, added into yummy and silky onion and tomato based gravy. This is a rich dish perfect for parties and special occasions. This is one dish which nobody will get bored of. Koftas are usually deep fried. I have made non fried version as well using APPE PAN. It tastes as good as fried one. Malai Kofta goes very well with Naan, Paratha, Kulcha or Jeera rice.
Roughly chopped tomato – 5 medium size
Roughly chopped onion – 1 medium size
Ginger-Garlic-Chili paste – 1 tbsp
Cashew – 10
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Butter – 1 tbsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Kasuri methi – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Kitchen king masala – 1tsp
Kashmiri red chili powder – 2 tsp
Sugar – 2 tsp
heavy Cream – 1/4 cup
For Kofta Stuffing
Grated paneer – 1/4 cup
Chopped Cashew and raisins – 1 tbsp
Heavy cream – 1 tbsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
Pinch of Cardamom powder
Pinch of salt
For outer coating of kofta
Boiled, peeled and mashed Potato – 2 medium size
Ginger-chili paste – 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Bread crumbs – 1/4 cup
Grated Paneer – 1/4 cup
Heavy cream and cilantro for garnishing
1. Heat butter and oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, let it crackle. Add ginger-chili-garlic paste, onion, tomatoes and cashews into it. Mix them very well. Cook it for 8 to 10 minutes on medium flame.
2. Let the mixture cool dawn. Grind it very well using little bit water.
3. Strain the gravy using strainer.
4. In another pan, take this gravy. Add chili powder, garam masala, kitchen king masala, salt and sugar. Mix them very well and let it cook for 5 minutes. Add Kasuri methi, sugar and heavy cream. Again cook it for 5 minutes on medium flame. Your gravy is ready. Taste it once and adjust the spice level according to your taste.
For kofta stuffing
1. Take all the ingredient in a bowl and mix them well. Make equal size small round balls. Keep it aside.
For Outer coating of kofta
1. Take all the ingredients in a bowl. Mix them very well. Divide it into equal parts.
1. Take one portion of potato mixture and flatten it. Place one portion of prepared paneer mixture in the center. Bring the edges toward the center and seal the paneer and dry fruit mixture completely with the outer covering. Make all the koftas same way. You can shape them into any way you like. I have shown two ways of making koftas in photos.
2. Coat the koftas with corn flour very well.
Method – 1
Method – 2
3. Heat Appe pan. Apply some oil. Place koftas and cook them until golden brown in color over medium flame.
4. If you would like to deep fry them, heat oil in a pan on a medium flame. Deep fry the koftas until golden brown in color.
5. Take gravy in a serving bowl. Place the koftas into the gravy. Garnish it with Heavy cream and cilantro.