Tawa Bhindi recipe is a tasty twist to a typical Bhindi Fry recipe or Stuffed Bhindi recipe. This Vegetarian Okra Recipe is a Pan fried with Garlic, Chickpea Flour (Besan) and some Indian Spices. Tawa Bhindi is perfectly cooked with no slimy texture of Okra and it gets ready under 15 minutes. It is a simple Vegan Okra side dish and It can be served with Paratha, Roti, Rice or Naan.
Lady’s Finger / Okra / Bhindi is a great source of nutrients, It even aids in weight loss, controls blood sugar levels as well as improves digestion.
Okra / Ladies Finger is a staple and is cooked in many ways in Indian cuisines, like Bhindi fry, Bhindi Masala, Ajwaini bhindi, Dahi Bhindi , Bhindi Ki kadhi, Stuffed Bhindi, No Onion No Garlic Bhindi Masala, Maharashtrian Style Bhindi, Aloo Bhindi, Bhindi Do pyaza Etc. In Indian restaurants, Bhindi Masala is one of the popular items on the menu.
This Tawa Bhindi is a twist to a basic Bhindi Masala Recipe and the ingredients are same as Bharva bhindi. Only thing I changed is Instead of stuffing the Bhindi, I sprinkled the masala on top and cook it for few minutes. Hence it is less time consuming over the traditional way of cooking Stuffed Bhindi / Okra. This particular Vegetarian Bhindi recipe has a dry texture and requires shallow frying followed by mixing Chickpea flour based masala.
Many of us have issues while cooking Bhindi because of the slimy texture it gives off on cooking.
So How to avoid Slimy Bhindi texture?
1 – The key is to choose tender green okra and when you snap the end, it should break off easily.
2 – Don’t stir continuously when sautéing or cooking. Stir very occasionally or just toss them.
3 – Adding teaspoon of lemon juice also helps reduce slime.
4 – Make Sure that you wash Okra / Bhindi properly and pat dry with zero moisture before chopping them.
I have shown in the video how to cut the Okra for this Easy Tawa Bhindi Recipe.
Tawa Bhindi recipe
- 500 grams Bhindi / Okra / Ladies finger
- ¼ cup Besan / Chickpea flour
- 1 tablespoon Red chili powder
- 2 tablespoon Cumin and coriander powder Dhana-jeera Powder - 2 tablespoon (Coriander powder 1 and ½ tablespoon and cumin powder ½ tablespoon)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 3 tablespoon Crushed Peanut
- 1 tablespoon Garlic finely chopped
- 3 + 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Cilantro / Coriander for garnishing
- Wash and dry the okra with kitchen towel. Chop the top and bottom end. Slit the okra into lengthwise but not cutting it into half. keep it aside.
- Take Besan, Red chili powder, salt, Cumin and coriander powder, garam masala, turmeric, crushed peanut and Garlic in a big mixing bowl. Mix them very well
- Heat 3 tablespoon oil in a Tawa / griddle. Place the Okra. Close the lid and Cook them on a medium to low flame for 5 minutes or until they are tender. Stir in between.
- Sprinkle prepared masala. Mix it very well. Add remaining 2 tablespoon oil, Cilantro and lime juice. Let them cook for 2 minutes over medium to low heat.
- Your Tawa Bhindi is ready. Serve it hot with Phulka Roti, Paratha or with rice.
Pin it for Later –