My todays recipe is Methi Matar Malai. It is a Punjabi North India recipe which is very popular. Methi Matar Malai can be found in the menu of the most North Indian restaurants. Methi means Fenugreek leaves and Matar means Green peas, is great combination. The gravy is made from onion and cashews with some whole spices.
Methi Matar Malai is very flavorful and aromatic dish with creamy, smooth and delicious gravy. It tastes great when served with Indian breads like Naan, Roti or Paratha. Yesterday, I made Shahi Paneer Kofta, Dal Tadka, Jeera RIce and Methi Matar Malai. Yum Yum……
Chopped onion – 2 cup
Cashew – 1/2 cup
Cumin seeds -1 tbsp
Garlic – 5 cloves
Ginger – 1 inch
Methi / Fenugreek leaves – 1 1/2 cup
Matar / green peas – 1 1/2 cup
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Milk – 1/2 cup
Heavy cream – 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Sugar – 1 tbsp
Butter – 1tbsp
1. Chop the methi leaves. Take this into bowl and pressure cook it for 1 whistles. Don’t add the water in the bowl.
2. Take all the gravy ingredients in the pan. Add 1 cup of water and cook it for 10 minutes or until fully cooked over the medium heat.
3. Take this mixture into blender and grind it into very smooth paste. Use water if needed.
4. Heat butter in a pan. Add prepared onion cashew based gravy. stir well. Add salt, garam masala, green peas, Milk, heavy cream and sugar. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
5. Squeeze all the water from the methi. Add this methi into the gravy. Let it cook for 5 minutes over the medium heat. Stir occasionally.