Gujarati Methi Thepla, a must try lightly spices chapati like Indian flatbread is prepared from Whole Wheat flour, Fenugreek leaves, and other spices. Methi Thepla is light as well as healthy. It’s an all-time favorite at home.
It is typically served for breakfast and lunch with plain yogurt, Mango pickle or Aloo ki sabzi, Thepla recipe comes very handy as a lunch box recipe and also for on the go or while traveling.
I do make much variety of theplas like Zucchini thepla, carrot thepla, cabbage thepla, plain thepla.
Every household has their own recipe for making Thepla. Some make with multigrain flour, some add ginger-garlic paste, some makes it thick and some makes it thin. I learned this recipe from my Mom.
Thepla has a longer shelf life compared to any normal Indian flatbread and can be easily preserved for 3 to 4 days at room temperature. It also freezes so well for up to 2 to 3 months. I am sharing how to store it in the freezer for 2 to 3 months in the video down below. Also, I have mentioned tips to make soft and perfect thepla below.
This recipe will make 50 Methi Thepla(depending on the size).
Gujarati Methi Thepla, a must try lightly spices chapati like Indian flatbread is prepared from Whole Wheat flour, Fenugreek leaves, and other spices. Methi Thepla is light as well as healthy. It's an all time favorite at home.
- 3 cups Fresh Fenugreek leaves washed and chopped finely
- 4 cups Whole wheat flour
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Chili powder Or as per your spice level
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp Cumin-coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Hing
- 1/4 cup Oil + for frying the thepla
- 1 cup Curd
- 1 cup Water or as needed
- Take whole wheat flour in a big mixing bowl. Add chili powder, turmeric powder, Cum-coriander powder, salt, hing, and oil. Mix them.
- Now add fenugreek/methi leaves and curd. Mix it with your fingertips well.
- Now add little water a time and knead into semi-soft dough. It should not be too hard or too soft.
- Cover it and keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, take some oil in hand and knead the dough once again to smooth out. Divide the dough into 50 equal balls, flatten it out between your palms and take it in the oiled bowl.
- With the help of dry flour, start rolling the thepla. Roll it into 6 to 7-inch diameter circle using a rolling pin. It should not be too thin or thick.
- Heat the tawa on a medium heat.
- Place rolled Methi thepla on hot tawa. Let it cook for 30 to 40 seconds or till you get few bubbles on the top.
- Flip it with help of a spatula. Drizzle some oil and spread evenly. Again flip it, press it lightly with a spatula and cook until bottom side is cooked. Apply some more oil on top and flip and cook again by pressing until cooked.
- 10. Once cooked on both the sides remove it to the plate or in the container. Repeat the same process for the rest Methi thepla.
How to freeze/ store the Methi Thepla Up to 2 to 3 months?
- Let the Methi Thepla cools down completely.
2. Take aluminum foil, place the Thepla (Store it in a small batch, let's say 10 Thepla), wrap in a foil and pack in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag and store it in a freezer.
3. When you want a nice meal or for kids lunch box, just take them out, Keep it for an hour at room temperature, warm them slightly on tawa or in a microwave and enjoy!!
Note - If you don't have Fresh Methi leaves you may use Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek leaves too.
Add 4 tbsp in this recipe You might need less water if your washed methi leaves have water. So always start adding little water at a time. The dough should be semi-soft.
If the dough is hard then end product will be dry and chewy. If it's too soft then it will be sticky and hard to roll.
Do not let the dough rest for more than 15 minutes. If so Methi leaves will starts leaving the water and dough will become too soft and sticky.
Always roll it to a medium thickness to get better and softer thepla. Always fry thepla on medium-high heat.
If you are going to eat it in an hour, then its OK to use less oil for frying. Otherwise please go liberal on oil to get a soft texture. And you are going to store it for a longer period like for 3 to 4 months, please use little extra oil while frying.
Storing time may vary depending on weather and freezer temperature.
Pin It for Later –