Cucumber Raita is very simple and easy side dish to be made with Biryani, pulao or in the fasting season. To make this Raita, you need very few ingredients like cucumber, Curd/yogurt, roasted cumin seed powder, rock salt and tempering. That’s it. Adding tempering is optional, but I highly recommend you to add tempering. It gives very nice aroma and flavor.
The cucumber Raita can be served with Roti-sabzi too. You can have this Raita as dip with crackers or with veggies. I squeezed out excess moisture from cucumber and I used the squeezed water in my soup and. If you don’t want remove the water, you may skip that step. and directly add the grated cucumber in a curd. To make a good Raita use full fat and thick yogurt/curd. I made it with greek yogurt.
A Raita is generally made to tone the heat of the spicy foods. Yogurt and cucumbers are cooling, it help to balance the heat from spicy food. They also help to digest a heavy meal. This Raita is very nutritious. Cucumbers help in digestion and brings down the heat.
I make this Raita with Quinoa Pulao (My next recipe), Beetroot and Spinach Pulao, Raw mango rice and Biryani. Do give this a try. I am sure you’ll love it. Dont forget to check out my Pressure cooker Biryani Recipe.
Grated Cucumber – 1 and 1/2 cup
Thick yogurt / curd – 1 and 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Black Salt / Sanchal – 1/2 tsp
Roasted cumin powder – 1 tsp
Cilantro / Coriander for garnishing
Oil – 2 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Video Recipe of Cucumber Raita
[ot-video type=”youtube” url=”https://youtu.be/83lK8A-MXdg”]
[blockquote style=”3″]Do you like our recipes? Please subscribe to WhatsApp NewsLetter and receive notification straight to your WhatsApp when new recipe posted. It will take less than a minute to subscribe.[/blockquote]
1. Squeeze out excess moisture from grated cucumbers and keep it aside.
2. In another bowl, take yogurt, grated cucumber, salt, black salt and roasted cumin powder. Mix them very well. Keep it aside.
3. heat oil in a pan. Add urad dal. Saute it until light golden brown in color.
4. Now add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Let it splutter.
5. Switch off the flame and add this tempering into Raita.
6. Cucumber Raita is ready. Serve this with Biryani, Pulao or with Roti-Sabzi.
- 1 and 1/2 cup Grated Cucumber
- 1 and 1/2 cup Thick yogurt / curd
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Black Salt / Sanchal
- 1 tsp Roasted cumin powder
- Cilantro / Coriander for garnishing
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- Squeeze out excess moisture from grated cucumbers and keep it aside.
- In another bowl, take yogurt, grated cucumber, salt, black salt and roasted cumin powder. Mix them very well. Keep it aside.
- heat oil in a pan. Add urad dal. Saute it until light golden brown in color.
- Now add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Let it splutter.
- Switch off the flame and add this tempering into Raita.
Pin it For Later