Chettinad, a small region in the state of Tamil Nadu India, the cuisine is well known for their freshly ground spicy spice mixes. Today, I am sharing a very simple yet delicious Chettinad Potato Fry / Urulaikilangu Fry recipe which goes well with Rice, Puri, Paratha or Chapathi. Chettinad Potato Fry is one of the scrumptious dry curries.
Potato Roast with Chettinad Masala is a different yet flavorful potato fry that you can make in minutes. The Chettinad masala is a dry spice blend that you can make ahead and store. It is very tasty and flavorful spice powder and we can use it in any vegetable preparations.
In this recipe, aromatic spices are ground and then sprinkled on sauteed onion and potatoes. I have used baby potatoes. You can even cube the big potatoes and make this potato fry. Potatoes are so versatile. They are every ones favorite. I make different varieties of Potato curry like Rasavalu Batata Nu Shaak, Kashmiri Dum Aloo, Tawa aloo, etc.
This recipe is must try for all potato lovers. It is so tasty, spicy and out of the world. 🙂
Chettinad Potato Fry
For Chettinad Masala
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 5 Red dried chilies
- 1 tsp Black pepper corn
- 1 tbsp Urad dal
- 1 tbsp Chana dal
- 20 Boiled and Peeled Baby Potatoes
- 1/2 cup Onion chopped
- 8 to 9 Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- Pinch of Asafoitida
- 2 tbsp Oil
For Chettinad Masala
- Dry roast all the Masala Ingredients for 5 minutes on a medium to low flame. Let it cool down. Grind it to a coarse powder. You can make this masala in bulk too. Place this masala in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. It stays fresh up to a month or even more than that.
For Chettinad Potato Fry
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. Let it splutter.
- Now add curry leaves and onions. Saute for a minute.
- Once onion gets sauteed, add Boiled and peeled baby potatoes. Mix well. Let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now add salt and prepared Chettinad Masala. Stir well. I have added only 3/4 of the masala and remaining I stored it in an airtight container. Use according to your taste and spice level.
- Let it cook for 5 to 6 minutes or it turns slightly golden. Switch off the flame.
- Chettinad Potato Fry is ready. Garnish it with some coriander and serve it with Puri, Phulka or Rice.
Don't Forget to watch quick Video
Pin It For Later –