Kashmiri Dum Aloo is a very fragrant and flavorful dish.
Kashmiri Dum Aloo is cooked with yogurt, Fennel seeds powder, ginger powder, and few other spices. This preparation is dry (Not very dry). There is no gravy.
This dish is very similar to my Tawa Aloo recipe.
This is an authentic recipe. Not the restaurant-style.
I suggest you make this curry with Kashmiri red chili powder as they are not very hot and give a nice red color. Yesterday, my friend and her family came for dinner.
Her In-laws don’t eat garlic and onion. So I made this dish.
This recipe does not have any onion or garlic in it.
Usually, Fried Baby Potatoes are added. But I didn’t fry them (no need to add those extra calories).
I just boiled the potatoes. Marinating time is 30 minutes and preparation time is hardly 15 minutes when boiled Potatoes ready.
Do check out my Instant Pot Version of Dum Aloo too.
I served this Kashmiri Dum Aloo with Plain Kulcha. It can be served with plain or jeera rice, roti or parathas.
How to make Kashmiri Dum Aloo?
1. Take yogurt in a mixing bowl. Whisk it well.
2. Add all the spices. Mix them well. Add boiled and peeled baby potatoes. Coat baby potatoes well with the yogurt. Keep it aside for 30 minutes.
3. Heat ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds. Let it splutter. Add marinated bay potatoes. Mix it.
4. Let it cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.
5. Kashmiri Dum Aloo is ready. Serve them hot with hot butter kulcha, paratha, roti or rice. Enjoy your weekend!!!!
Kashmiri Dum Aloo
- Boiled and peeled baby Potatoes - 20 Make a cross slit while boiling baby potatoes
- Yogurt (Not Sour) - 3 cups
- Fennel seeds powder - 2 tsp
- Dry GInger powder - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Kashmiri red chili powder - 2 tbsp
- Garam Masala - 1 tsp
- Coriander and cumin powder - 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 2 tsp
- Cardamom powder - ¼ tsp
- Cilantro/coriander for garnishing
- Take yogurt in a mixing bowl. Whisk it well.
- Add all the spices. Mix them well. Add boiled and peeled baby potatoes. Coat baby potatoes well with the yogurt. Keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds. Let it splutter. Add marinated bay potatoes. Mix it.
- Let it cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Kashmiri Dum Aloo is ready. Serve them hot with hot butter kulcha, paratha, roti or rice. Enjoy your weekend!!!!
Sound great and I’d like to try. Just one question about the coriander and cumin powder. Is that two tablespoons of each powder or is that two tablespoons of a mixture of both powders? And if it is a “composite” powder – what’s the ratio of each component? I ask because in one of my cookbooks they use coriander-cumin powder that you mix up in a 2:1 ratio. Thanks.
Dhwani Mehta says
It is mixture of both powders. Ratio is 2 (Coriander Powder) : 1 (Cumin Powder).
Let me know how it turns out for you.
Thanks. I just finished make this dish. Yum! It was so nice and saucy that I got the idea to add some other vegies. Of course Cauliflower goes great with potatoes but since I didn’t have any on hand, I added some lightly cooked edamame (soy beans). Of course either the cauliflower or peas would be a more authentic Indian combination but the edamame worked very well! I did cut back on the chili powder (my husband is a wimp when it comes to hot). But I put enough to give it some zing. I think you could also throw green beans in. I will definitely add this dish to my list of “for company” dishes. (I’ll also put a comment out on Google.)
Dhwani Mehta says
Thank you QueenLalique for trying and sharing feedback. Loved the way you customize it to make it more colorful!! I will surely try with edamame next time.