Kashmiri Dum Aloo is very fragrant and flavorful dish. Kashmiri Dum Aloo is cooked with yogurt, Fennel seeds powder, ginger powder and few other spices. This preparation is dry (Not very dry). There is no gravy. This dish is very similar to my Tawa Aloo recipe. This recipe of Kashmiri Dum Aloo is more like the way the actual Kashmiri Dum Aloo is. Not the restaurant ones.
I Suggest you to make this Kashmiri Dum Aloo with Kashmiri red chili powder as they are not very hot and give a nice red color. Yesterday, my friend and her family came for dinner. Her In-laws don’t eat garlic and onion. So I made this dish. This recipe of Kashmiri Dum Aloo does not have any onion or garlic in it. Usually Fried Baby Potatoes are added. But I didn’t fry them (no need to add those extra calories). I just boiled the potatoes. Marinating time is 30 minutes and preparation time is hardly 15 minutes when boiled Potatoes ready.
I served this Kashmiri Dum Aloo with Plain Kulcha. It can be served with plain or jeera rice, roti or parathas.
Boiled and peeled baby Potaotes – 20 (Make a cross slit while boiling baby potatoes)
Yogurt (Not Sour) – 3 cups
Fennel seeds powder – 2 tsp
Dry GInger powder – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Kashmiri red chili powder – 2 tbsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Coriander and cumin powder – 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
Cilantro/coriander for garnishing
1. Take yogurt in a mixing bowl. Whisk it well.
2. Add all the spices. Mix them well. Add boiled and peeled baby potatoes. Coat baby potatoes well with the yogurt. Keep it aside for 30 minutes.
3. Heat ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds. Let it splutter. Add marinated bay potatoes. Mix it.
4. Let it cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.
5. Kashmiri Dum Aloo is ready. Serve them hot with hot butter kulcha, paratha, roti or rice. Enjoy your weekend!!!!