Turiya Patra Nu Shak is an unusual combination of ridge gourd and patra (Taro leaves roll). You can make patra at home also. I have used readymade patra. This dish is very common in Gujarati tradition and is a must serve item in Weddings. Its tangy, sweet and spicy in taste.
Ridge Gourd (Turai) cubes – 3 cups
Patra – 7 to 8 cut into four pieces
Oil – 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp (optional)
Ginger – chili paste 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 3 to 4
Salt to taste
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Sugar – 2 tbsp
Roughly chopped Cashews – 2 tbsp
Roughly chopped Raisins – 1 tbsp
Coriander – 1 tbsp
Grated coconut – 1 tbsp
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and let it crackle. Add ginger-chili paste and curry leaves.
2. Add ridge gourd and 1 cup water. Add salt and turmeric. Cover and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
3. Add patra pieces and mix them well. Add sugar, lemon juice, cashews, raisins and grated coconut. Mix them very well and cook on a medium flame for another 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Garnish it with cilantro / coriander.
5. Turiya Patra Nu Shak is ready. Serve it with Roti, Paratha or Puri.