Bharela Ringana Bateta Nu Shaak / Bharva Aloo Baingun is one of the traditional Gujarati Side dish. It is spice, tangy, Little bit sweet and delicious daily meal recipe. It is made with eggplant and potatoes stuffed with chick pea stuffing.
Traditionally it is made in lots of oil, but i made it using less oil. Generally Bharela Ringana Bateta Nu Shaak is served with Bajra Rotla. It also can be served with Phulka, rice, Bhakhri or paratha.
I made this sabzi in pan. It takes some time to cook. But if you are in hurry, make this in pressure cooker. It saves your lot of time. Down below I ll write how to make this in pressure cooker.
This recipe is my families favorite. I have added sliced onion. If you have pearl onion, use that. Stuff it with some masala like eggplant and potatoes. I suggest, make extra masala and add more in this curry. Because it is finger licking. You can make extra masala and store this into air tight container or freezer safe bag and place it into freezer. it will stay fresh for up to a month. You can use this masala to make Barva baingun, Stuffed bhindi, Stuffed Todli / TIndora. In short, you can stuff this masala in any vegetables.
Do check out other stuffed vegetable recipes like,
Stuffed Tindora / Tondli
To make stuffing
Besan / Chickpea flour – 1/4 cup
Chopped Cilantro – 1 bunch, around 1 full packed cup
Cumin and coriander powder / Dhana Jeera Powder – 3 tbsp
Red chili powder – 2 tbsp (Add according to your spice level)
Jaggery – 2 tbsp (Optional- but I highly recommend to use it)
Crushed Garlic – 2 tbsp
Garama Masala – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Asoifoitida – a pinch
Crushed peanut – 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
Oil – 2 tbsp
Baby Potatoes – 300 grams
Baby Eggplant / Ringana / Baingun – 300 grams
Onion sliced – 1 cup
Tomatoes chopped – 1 cup, around 2 medium
Oil – 4 tbsp
Video Recipe of making Bharela Ringana Bateta Nu Shaak
[ot-video type=”youtube” url=”https://youtu.be/_I_4RlexPmg”]
[blockquote style=”3″]Do you like our recipes? Please subscribe to WhatsApp NewsLetter and receive notification straight to your WhatsApp when new recipe posted. It will take less than a minute to subscribe.[/blockquote]
1. Take a big mixing bowl. Add all the stuffing ingredients in that bowl. Mix them very well. Keep it aside.
2. Make criss-cross slits on eggplant and potatoes(Peel the skin of potatoes first), taking care not to separate the segments. Stuff the slits of baingun and potatoes with prepared mixture. if you still have some mixture left, keep it aside, we will sprinkle it at the end.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add oinion and saute it for 2 minutes. Add stuffed vegetbales. Stir it. Add 1 cup of water, close the pan with lid and cook it on low to medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Open the lid, add chopped tomatoes, mix and cook it again for another 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
5. Sprinkle left over stuffing masala(If you have left over). Mix and add water if it is required. Cook it for another 2 minutes.
6. Bharela Ringana Bateta Nu Shaak is ready. Serve it with Bajri Rotla, Bhakhari, Phulka or rice.
How to make this Bharela Ringana Bateta Nu Shaak in pressure cooker
1. If you dont have enough time, make this sabzi in pressure cooker. Heat oil in cooker. Saute onion for 2 minutes.
2. Add stuffed eggplant and stuffed baby potatoes. Mix and also add any leftover masala. Add 2 and 1/2 cup of water, stir, close the pressure cooker and listen 3 whistles.
3. Let your pressure cooker cools down.
4. Your Bharela Ringana Bateta Nu Shaak in pressure cooker is ready in no time.
1. As I said, you can store this stuffing masala for up to a month in the freezer. You can use it to make any vegetables.
2. If your dont have baby potatoes, you can use big potatoes too. just cut them in big pieces and use.
3. Use Baby onion / Pearl onion if you have.
4. My baby potatoes were very tender. So I cook baingun / eggplant together. But if your you think your potatoes wont cook enough with eggplant, add stuffed potatoes first and cook it for 10 minutes and then add stuffed eggplant. Because eggplant cooks faster than potatoes.