My Family Love Soup, especially when its raining or During Winter. Its so comforting to sip from the a bowl of hot soup in chilly days. 🙂 I have already shared couple of soup recipes like Tomato and corn soup, garden vegetable soup, rasam…. Today I am going to share a soup recipe which is very healthy, easy to make and yummy. So my today’s recipe is SPINACH SOUP / PALAK KA SORBA / CREAMY SPINACH SOUP . It’s so creamy. This Spinach Soup is a very good way to include greens in your diet.
I do make lots of spinach based dishes because it’s my sons favorite vegetable. I haven’t added any flour in this recipe. Instead I have added some pieces of bottle guard(Dudhi / Lauki) to make it more healthy, thick and creamy. Adding bottle guard(Dudhi / Lauki) in the soup not only thickens the Spinach Soup, nut also gives sweetness in the soup. Addition of the garlic, onion , nutmeg powder, milk and crushed pepper makes the Spinach Soup warming and spiced. I have added whole milk in this soup. But you can use 2% or skim milk or completely can skip this part and add water. But milk gives very nice creamy taste and consistency.
The Spinach Soup can be served with Plain or with French bread or Croutons. But me and my husband like to drink plain Spinach Soup. My kiddo like Spinach Soup with pasta.
Chopped Spinach – 3 cups
Chopped onion – 1/4 cup
Chopped garlic – 1 tbsp
Ginger and chili paste – 1 tsp
Bottle guard (Lauki/Dudhi) – 1/2 cup
Pinch of nutmeg powder(Jayfal)
Salt and pepper powder to taste
Whole milk – 2 cups
Ghee or oil – 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Cinnamon stick – 1/2 inch
Cloves – 3
Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp (Optional)
Fresh cream for garnishing (Optional)
1. Heat ghee or oil in a sauce pan. Add cumin seeds, clove and cinnamon. Let cumin seeds crackel. Add Ginger-chili paste, garlic and chopped onion. Saute them for few seconds.
2. Add bottle guard and chopped spinach. Saute them for 5 to 7 minutes over medium flame.
3. Add milk, salt, pepper powder and nutmeg powder. Mix them well.
4.Let the milk come to a boil. Switch off the flame. Let the mixture cool down little bit.
5. Blend into a blender until smooth. Sieve it well.
6. Keep the Spinach Soup back on the stove for simmering for 3 to 4 minutes. Add some water if your soup is very thick. Check the seasoning and consistency according to your like. Add lemon juice and mix well.
7. Creamy Spinach Soup / Palak Soup is ready.