Rava dosa is a popular South Indian thin and crispy dosa that can be prepared instantly, without the need for any fermentation. This dosa is as excellent option for breakfast, brunch, snack or a sudden meal for a surprise guest.
Rava / Sooji / Semolina – 1 cup
All Purpose flour – 1/4 cup
Rice flour – 1 cup
Ginger finely chopped – 1 tsp
Green chilies finely chopped – 1 tsp
Jeera / cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Chopped coriander / cilantro – 2 tbsp
Chopped curry leaves – 1 tbsp
salt to taste
Oil or ghee as needed
1. Take all the ingredients in a bowl and mix water with it. Use a beater for easy mixing. The batter should be very thin and running consistency. For best result rest the batter for 30 minutes. After resting, check the consistency of the batter and if needed, add the water.
2. Heat a non stick dosa pan. The pan should be very hot/ Pour the watery batter. Apply ghee or oil.
3. Let it cook in medium flame until dosa becomes brown in color from bottom. It will take some time on medium flame but be patient. If you cook on flame you may not get the crispy dosa. Do not flip the dosa, when done from the bottom, just fold and serve.
4. Another method of poring batter is with hands. Sprinkle with your hand quickly all over. This method gives very nice and lacy dosa.
5. For Onion Rava Dosa, first sprinkle onion all over the pan. Pour batter over the onion with your hand. Cook Onion Rava Dosa on medium flame until golden brown in color.
6. Rava Dosa and Onion Rava Dosa is ready. Serve hot with Coconut Chutney.