Coconut chutney is my families favorite accompaniment to go with most of South Indian dishes like Dosa, Idli, Vadas… Coconut Chutney is served almost every day as a part of the breakfast or sometimes at lunch and dinner times too in South Indians Home. Coconut chutney is very easy to make. There are lots and lots of variations that can be done with this recipe.
Sliced Fresh coconut – 2 cup
Cashew – 1/4 cup
Daliya dal – 1/8 cup
Salt to taste
Cumin(Jeera) – 1 tsp
Tamarind – 3 pieces
Cilantro(Coriander) – 2 tbsp
Ginger – 1″ Piece
Green chilies – 3
Urad Dal – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 5
Dried red chilies – 2
Oil – 1 tbsp
1. In a mixture grinder jar, add all the ingredients of the chutney and grind it into a thick coarse paste.
2. Take it out in a serving bowl.
3. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and urad dal. Let it splutter.
4. Add curry leaves and dried red chilies.
5. Pour this tempering mixture into prepared coconut chutney.
6. Give it a good mix and serve it with Idli, Dosa or Vada.