Muthiya / Methi Dhokli is derived from the way it is made, from the ‘gripping’ action of the hand. It is made with chickpea flour, methi, salt, turmeric, chili powder, sugar and oil. Muthiya is main ingredient in Undhiyu. This dish is supposed to be good for keeping bowel movement regular, because it includes methi.
This dish can be eaten steamed or fried; it is equally tasty either way.
You can make it ahead of time. It will remain fresh for couple of days. You can eat it as it is.
This recipe will make 15 – 18 Muthiya.
Finely chopped Methi(Fenugreek leaves) – 1 cup
Chickpea flour – 2 cup
Chili powder – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
Sugar – 2 tbsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Pindh of soda bi carb
Pinch of Hing
Oil for deep frying
1. Take chopped methi leaves in a broad bowl. Add chickpea flour and all the masala.
2. Add soda bi carb. Squeeze lemon over soda bi carb.
3. Mix all the ingredients very well. Start making dough by adding water little at a time. Sometimes you might not need water to make dough.
4. Apply oil on your palm. Make a equal size balls.
5. Heat oil in a pan. Deep fry prepared balls and until golden brown in color.
6. Your Muthiya are ready. Use it in Undhiyu or with vegetable preparation or eat as it is.