Mango Shrikhand | Aamrkhand – Lush Mango flavored Popular Indian Dessert made with Greek or Thick yogurt, Mango, sweetener, Cardamom, some pistachios, and aromatic Safrron.
Shrikhand is a very popular Indian dessert made from strained yogurt/curd. It is one of the main desserts in Maharashtra and Gujarat. Normally, shrikhand is eaten with Puri or you can serve it simply as a dessert.
This easy Indian Dessert is very popular as part of wedding feasts. There are lots of variation in Shrikhand.
A popular variation of shrikhand is Amrakhand | Mango Shrikhand. It is very popular in Maharashtra.
This dessert is super simple to prepare.
Some notes and tips to make perfect Mango Shrikhand!
- The mangos should be really ripe and Juicy. The Indian Mangoes are perfect to make shrikhand. If you live in the US, I suggest you use ripe Atulfo mangos. It tastes close to Indian mangoes.
- If possible, use fresh mango pulp for best taste. You can use canned mango pulp but the shrikhand won’t taste the same.
- Today, I have made this Shrikhand from Greek yogurt. You can make this Indian Mango dessert using regular homemade yogurt too. Here is the step by step process of making hung curd / Chakka Dahi –
Place yogurt/curd in a muslin cloth, tie up and hang it for at least 5 to 6 hours (or until you get nice semi-solid paneer like a result) to drain out all the water from the yogurt. (Its summer time, I kept it inside a refrigerator to avoid it going sour).
- Use only full-fat Greek yogurt, don’t use 0% Greek yogurt.
- Adjust sugar to taste, depending on the sweetness of fresh mangos.
- If you are using store bought mango pulp, use half the quantity of sugar.
- I would highly recommend you to chill this Indian Mango dessert overnight in the refrigerator. It tastes best when properly chilled.
- Shrikhand is a great make-ahead dessert recipe. It stays well up to a month in the refrigerator.
- You can have this dessert for Vrat or Indian fasting like Navratra, Ekadashi or Shivratri.
In Gujarat, we always have shrikhand with Poories and Rasavalu Bateta Nu Shaak (Simple potato curry).
This summer, make this utterly delicious Mango Shrikhand and enjoy it with your family! Or make it for your upcoming party or gathering.
Step By Step Preparation of making Mango Shrikhand using Greek Yogurt.
Line the strainer with cheesecloth or any muslin cloth, add the greek yogurt, squeeze out as much water as you can.
Once the yogurt is strained nicely, transfer it in a mixing bowl.
In another bowl, take fresh mango pulp, sugar, and cardamom powder. Blend them very well using a hand blender.
Mix this mango mixture with hung curd.
Take milk and saffron in another bowl, mix and add it to this mango and hung curd mixture.
Shrikhand is all about its texture. Do not over-mix as it will turn runny.
Mango Shrikhand / Amrakhand is ready. Refrigerate it for a few hours.
When ready to serve, Sprinkle some chopped pistachios or your favorite nuts and Some mango pieces.
Serve it with Puri and Enjoy!
If you enjoy this Instant Indian Dessert – Mango Shrikhand, You may also like these delicious Mango recipes like,
Mango Shrikhand | Aamrakhand
- 2 cups - Greek Yogurt
- 1 ½ cup - Fresh Mango Pulp
- ½ - cup Sugar Depending upon the sweetness of Mango
- Pinch of saffron mixed in 1 tablespoon warm milk
- Pinch of cardamom powder
- Chopped pistachios for garnishing
- Line the strainer with cheesecloth or any muslin cloth, add the greek yogurt, squeeze out as much water as you can.
- Once the yogurt is strained nicely, transfer it in a mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, take fresh mango pulp, sugar, and cardamom powder. Blend them very well using a hand blender.
- Mix this mango mixture with hung curd.
- Take milk and saffron in another bowl, mix and add it to this mango and hung curd mixture.
- Shrikhand is all about its texture. Do not overmix as it will turn runny.
- Mango Shrikhand / Amrakhand is ready. Refrigerate it for a few hours.
- When ready to serve, Sprinkle some chopped pistachios or your favorite nuts and Some mango pieces.
- Serve it with Puri and Enjoy!
Pin It For Later –
Which is the best greek yoghurt for Shrikhand ? I see many varieties in store .