Around this time of the year(Winter) we get good and fresh Methi / Fenugreek leaves. I make many dishes with the methi leaves like methi spinach paratha, Methi gota, Methi muthiya, Methi malai mutter, Methi corn and many more. And today I going to share one of my favorite Gujarati sabzi recipe Methi Nu Lotvalu Shak / Besan Vali Methi.
Methi Nu Lotvalu Shak is Gujarati name which means Besan Vali Methi or Fenugreek Leaves In Chick pea Flour gravy. I love the simplicity of this dish, with very few and basic ingredients yet has a flavorful taste.
This Methi Nu Lotvalu Shak is served with Bajra Rotl or Phulka and Jaggery, green chilies, green onion and Chhas in side. 🙂 You can make this Jain too. Just skip last step of garlic tempering.
Fresh, washed and chopped Fenugreek / Methi leaves – 2 cups
Besan / Chick pea flour – 1 cup
Oil – 2 tbsp + 2 tbsp for tempering
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Garlic – 1 1/2 tbsp crushed (Skip if you are making Jain)
Salt to taste
Red chili powder – 1/2 tbsp + 1/2 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Cumin and coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Water as needed
Video Recipe of making Methi Nu Lotvalu Shak / Besanwali Methi :-
[ot-video type=”youtube” url=”https://youtu.be/kUu9M-d6VkU”]
[blockquote style=”3″]Do you like our recipes? Please subscribe to WhatsApp NewsLetter and receive notification straight to your WhatsApp when new recipe posted. It will take less than a minute to subscribe.[/blockquote]
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add Asofoitida and Methi leaves.
2. Now add salt and turmeric powder. Mix it well. Add 1 cup of water, stir and cover it. Let it cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until methi is tender over medium heat.
3. Mean while, take chick pea flour / besan in a bowl. Add 1 1/2 cup of water. Prepare a lump free batter. Keep it aside.
4. Now open the lid pan. Add 1/2 tbsp of Chili powder and cumin and coriander powder. Give it a good stir. Add a cup of more water.
5. When you are ready to eat, add prepared besan batter. Keep Stirring continuously(This is very important otherwise it will stick to the bottom of your pan). Cook it over low to medium heat. Add more water if it’s too thick. Adjust the consistency according to your desire. Cook it about 5 to 7 minutes or until besan is cooked
6. In Another pan, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter. Add garlic (Skip if making for jain) and red chili powder. Switch off the flame and pour this tadka over sabzi.
7. Methi Nu Lotvalu Shak / Besanvali Methi is ready. Serve this immediately with Bajri Rotla or Roti.