Instant Pot Wild Rice Mushroom Soup is Vegan, Good for you, and just what everyone needs in winter. It is such a hearty and satisfying soup which will quickly become a new favorite to add into your rotation. 🙂
Happy New Year Everyone!!
I hope you all had great holidays. 🙂
After eating all the holiday treat, here I am presenting Wild Rice Soup recipe for you all. Because it has everything you need to shed those extra celeries. 🙂
This vegan Mushroom soup with wild rice is like pure comfort food without feeling too heavy.
Before we talk about the recipe, Let’s learn about wild rice and how to cook them in different ways.
What is Wild Rice?
According to healthline.com Despite its name, wild rice is not rice at all. Wild rice is a whole grain that has been growing in popularity in recent years.
It is very nutritious and believed to have numerous health benefits.
Although it is the seed of aquatic grass, just like rice, it’s not directly related to rice. The grass grows naturally in shallow freshwater marshes and along the shores of streams and lakes.
Wild rice is gluten-free.
How to Cook Wild Rice?
Steam Wild Rice
In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup wild rice, 3 cups water, salt to a boil. Cover it and Cook until the rice is tender and the kernels pop open. It will take 45 to 60 minutes. Uncover the rice and fluff it with a fork. Simmer 5 additional minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain off any excess liquid, if necessary.
Wild Rice In Oven
Combine 1 cup wild rice with 2 cups boiling water and salt to taste in a 2-quart casserole with lid. Cover and bake at 350F for 1 hour. Check the wild rice. Add more water, if needed, and fluff the rice with a fork. Continue baking until the rice is tender and still moist, about 20 to 30 minutes.
Wild Rice In Instant Pot
Combine 1 cup of Wild Rice, 3 cups of water and salt to taste in an instant pot. Cook for 45 minutes on high pressure. fluff the rice with a fork.
Where to buy Wild Rice?
Wild rice is available at Walmart, Sprouts, Whole Foods and on Amazon too.
Coming Back to the recipe, Instant Pot Wild Rice Mushroom Soup is
- And so so so so comforting.
I would say this is the most easiest and delectable Mushroom soup Recipe I have ever made. 🙂
This Wild Rice Mushroom Soup is a great blend of flavors and textures, and the creaminess from the coconut milk just puts it over the top.
Wild Rice Soup is the simplest soup recipe. All You need to do is just dump and cook everything in instant pot, make a roux in a separate pan and add roux once the rice and mushroom are cooked properly. That’s it!!
How simple is that!
Don’t like Mushrooms? Don’t worry you can still make this Wild Rice soup with carrots, spinach, kale or any veggies of your choice. 🙂
Different Variations and Pro-tips for Wild Rice Soup –
Feel free to:
Make it gluten-free:
Skip the roux (the butter/flour step) for the cream sauce, and just whisk some GF cornstarch into a saucepan with cold milk.
Heat the milk until it just barely reaches a simmer, whisking frequently, and the milk will thicken up. Then add it to the soup.
Make it vegetarian:
Add regular milk instead of coconut milk and butter instead of oil
Add More veggies:
There are so many other veggies that would be great in this soup too, like cauliflower, butternut squash, spinach, kale, Pumpkin, bell peppers…whatever works for you!
Add Different seasoning:
Italian seasoning, Za’atar blend or even try taco seasoning
What to Serve with Wild Rice Soup?
Serve it with Crusty No knead bread or with crackers and Salad.
Some more Instant Pot Soup recipes for you –
HOW TO MAKE WILD RICE SOUP:
Here is a detailed instruction for how to make this wild rice soup recipe.
Step – 1 – Cook the base of the soup
Dump Wild Rice, Mushroom, Vegetable Stock, chopped onion, chopped celery, Black Pepper powder, Salt, Poultry Seasoning, and minced garlic in an inner steel pot in Instant Pot. Stir well. Cover it. (Photo 1 to 4)
Stir well. Cover it, vent valve on sealing position. Pressure cook it on high pressure for 45 minutes. (Photo 5 to 7)
Once IP beeps and cooking time is done, switch off the Instant Pot and give a quick release.
Step – 2 Make Roux:
During the last 5 minutes that the soup is cooking, prepare roux in a separate saucepan.
In a pan, heat olive oil. Add All-purpose flour, Cook it for 2 minutes, stirring continuously. (Photo 8 to 10)
Now, add coconut milk and stir. Cook it for 2 minutes. Switch off the flame. (Photo 11 and 12)
Step – 3 Mix Roux and soup base
Now, add prepared roux in a soup. Mix well.
Step – 4 Serve warm:
Have you tried this Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup Recipe? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.
Wild Rice Mushroom Soup
- ¼ cup - Wild Rice (UNCOOKED) See notes
- 1 ½ cup - Mushroom i have used Baby Bella, you may use any
- 1 ½ cup - Vegetable Stock
- ¼ cup - chopped onion
- ¼ cup - chopped celery
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon - minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon - Poultry Seasoning See Notes
- ½ teaspoon - Black Pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon - Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon - all purpose flour
- 1 cup - Coconut milk See notes
- Dump Wild Rice, Mushroom, Vegetable Stock, chopped onion, chopped celery, Black Pepper powder, Salt, Poultry Seasoning, and minced garlic in an inner steel pot in Instant Pot. Stir well. Cover it.
- Pressure cook it on high pressure for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, let's make a roux. In a pan, heat olive oil. Add All-purpose flour, Cook it for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Now, add coconut milk and stir. Cook it for 2 minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Once IP beeps and cooking time is done, switch off the Instant Pot and give a quick release.
- Now, add prepared roux in a soup. Mix well.
- Wild Rice Mushroom Soup is ready. Serve it with Crusty No Knead Bread.
- Poultry seasoning is usually a mix of thyme, sage, marjoram, rosemary, and Nutmeg. If your poultry seasoning contains Black pepper, skip adding extra black pepper powder.
- If you don't have poultry seasoning, you may use your choice of herbs.
- If the soup is too thick, add some liquid.
- Don't substitute Wild rice with white rice, brown rice or Rice blend. Please use Actual Wild Rice.
- If you are not making it Vegan, you may use Butter instead of Olive oil and Regular Milk instead of Coconut milk.
- You can add any veggie of your choice too.
- I have used Tetra pack coconut milk which we get it in the dairy section, not the canned one. You may use canned one too.
For making this Soup in pot -
- You can cook on stove top. Instead of an instant pot, make it in a soup pot or dutch oven.
- Follow the same recipe. The only change you need to do is, increase the broth quantity. Instead, of 1 and ½ cup add 4 cups of vegetable broth and cook it for about 1n hour or so on a medium to high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Check the liquid in between, add more broth if needed.
Pin It For Later –