Baingan bharta or Baingan ka bhurtha or Baingan da bhurta or Wangyacha bharit is a South Asian dish. Baingan bharta is a part of the national cusines of both India and Pakistan. It is primarily a vegetarian dish that comprises bhurta(minced vegetable) made from eggplant(baingan) which is grilled over charcoal or direct fire, to infuse the dish with a smoky flavour. Traditionally, the dish is often eaten with Indian flatbread, Roti or Paratha or Rotla, and is also served with rice. In India it is also part of the cuisines of Maharashtra, Bihar, Orissa, West Bengal and Gujarat. The dish has many names depending on the local language. In Hindi it is called Baingan ka bharta, in Gujarati Olo, in Bengali Begun bhorta and in Marathi Wangyacha bharit. This dish is mainly prepared in Winter season. Winter is incomplete without Baingan ka bharta or Olo
Traditionally it is made on charcoal or direct fire. I have made in the oven.
Big Baingan / Ringana / Eggplant – 2
Garlic cloves – 8
Chopped Garlic – 2 tbsp
Chopped green onion – 1 cup
Chopped tomatoes – 1 cup
Oil – 4 tbsp
Salt to taste
Chili powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Coriander and cumin powder – 1 tbsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Chopped Coriander / cilantro – 1/2 cup
1. Preheat oven at 450 degree F.
2. Make thin slits in the eggplant using knife. Stuff garlic cloves in the eggplant.
3. Apply thin coat of oil on the eggplant. Line baking tray with aluminum foil.
4. Once the oven is heated, place the tray with eggplant in the oven and let it cook for 1 hour or until properly cooked. Rotate the eggplant every 15 minutes for even cooking.
5. Remove tray out of the oven and allow them to cool. Once eggplant is cool enough, peel the skin off and mash the eggplant using spoon or hand. Keep this aside.
6. In a pan, heat oil. Add chopped garlic and cook it for few seconds. Add green onion and tomatoes. Cook them for 3 to 4 minutes on medium flame.
7. Add salt, chili powder, Turmeric powder, cumin and coriander powder and garam masala. Mix them very well and cook it for 2 minutes.
8. Add mashed eggplant. Mix it very well. Cook it for 5 – 6 minutes on medium heat.
9. Add chopped cilantro/coriander, mix well and switch off the flame.