Amritsari Kulcha is crisp as well as soft leavened bread which is stuffed with boiled and mashed potatoes and spices. Kulchas are very famous in North India. I have shared Paneer Kulcha recipe. We make Amritsari Kulcha often.
This Amritsari Kulcha goes very well with Chhole. But we like this Kulcha with Masala Curd. You can also serve this with pickle. But they are so good, my son like to have it plain. 🙂 I used All purpose flour / Maida, but you can use half whole wheat flour or only whole wheat flour. The may be little different.
The two things you have to keep in mind while making Amritsari Kulcha.
- The dough shouldnt be too dry.
- Your stuffing should be dry.
I made Kulcha in the oven. You can make it in pressure cooker also. I will share pressure cooker version very soon. Even you can make it on tawa. Amritsari Kulcha and Chhole is perfect for weekend Bruch.
For Dough (12 Kulcha)
All Purpose flour / Maida – 4 cups
Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Active dry yeast – 2 tsp
Sugar – 2 tbsp
Warm milk – 2 cups
Boiled Potatoes – 1 kg
Chopped coriander – 3 tbsp
Green chili paste – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Chaat masala – 1 tbsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
All purpose flour / maida for rolling the Kulcha
Some Crushed coriander seeds
Some crushed anardaana
Red chili powder
[blockquote style=”3″]Do you like our recipes? Please subscribe to WhatsApp NewsLetter and receive notification straight to your WhatsApp when new recipe posted. It will take less than a minute to subscribe.[/blockquote]
1. Take warm milk in a bowl. Add oil, Yeast and sugar into the bowl. Mix well, cover it and keep it in warm place for 10 minutes until foamy.
2. In a big mixing bowl, take flour and salt. Mix them well. Add foamy milk mixture and knead a soft dough. Knead the dough for 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Grease a bowl and place the dough. Apply some oil. Cover it with plastic wrap and let it ferment for an hour. After an hour you will see the dough has doubled in size.
1. Take all the ingredients in a bowl. Mix them well and divide into equal size balls. Keep it aside.
Let’s make Amritsari Aloo Kulcha
Preheat Your oven @ 500 degree F. If you are using pizza stone, place it in the oven while preheating.
1. Take out the dough onto the working surface. Knead the dough once with help of little bit flour. Divide them into equal size balls.
2. Take one ball and gently press it out a bit. Place prepared stuffing ball in the middle and close it into a ball. Press it little bit and keep it aside for 10 minutes. do the same process with rest of the balls.
3. After 10 minutes, take one ball and spread the dough using your finger or rolling pin in to a thick paratha. Sprinkle some coriander seeds, crushed anardana, chili powder and cilantro. Roll it little bit again.
4. Place it on a pizza stone or greased baking sheet. Bake it in preheated oven at 500 degree F (250 degree C) for about 8 minutes or until top is golden brown in color.
Look At this picture, how beautifully they are puffing
5. Remove from the oven and apply butter on top.
Look at the back side
6. Amritsari Kulcha is ready. Serve them hot with Chhole or curd. Enjoy!!!