Dal Makhani is a staple food originating from Punjab region of the Indian subcontinent. The dish differs from other popular Punjabi dal dishes, such as Dal tadka, In that the primary ingredients in Dal Makhani are whole black urad and Rajma(red kidney beans), rather than Masoor(red lentil).
Dal Makhani is now universally popular. It is full of nutrients.
The traditional preparation of Dal Makhani involves a series of time-consuming procedures, which can take up to 24 hours to complete. However, with the availability of modern cooking equipment, pressure cooker, the preparation time of the dish has reduced significantly to 1 – 2 hours.
It is very easy and tasty. It goes very well with steamed rice, Naan, Roti, or Paratha.
Serves 3 people.
For Makhani Gravy
Whole garam masala
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Cardamom – 3
Cloves – 3
Cinnamon – 2″
Kashmiri Whole Red chili – 5
Ginger – 1″
Garlic – 5 cloves
salt to taste
Butter – 1/4 cup
Onion – 2 cup
Tomato – 4 cup
Green chili – 3
Kasoori Methi – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
Cashew nut – 7 to 10 for gravy
Watermelon seeds(magaj tari seeds) – 2 tsp
Black whole urad – 1/2 cup
Rajma (Red kidney beans) – 1/2 cup
Butter or cream
1. Soak Black whole urad and Rajma (Red kidney beans) for 5-6 hours or overnight.
2. Boil it in a pressure cooker untill 4- 5 whistles.
For Makhani gravy
3. Heat butter in a pressure cooker. Let it melt. Add all whole garam masala. Add garlic, ginger, green chili, onion, tomatoes, Cashew nuts and watermelon seeds. Saute it for 5 minutes over a medium heat. Close the pressure cooker lid. Cook it until 5 – 6 Whistles.
4. Let the pressure cooker cool down, open the lid and put all mixture into mixer grinder. Blend it very well. Make a paste and strain it using strainer.
5. Take strained paste in a pan. Season it with salt and kasuri methi. Cook it for 3 to 4 minutes over a medium to low heat.
6. Once it comes to a boil add sugar and heavy whipping cream. Switch off the flame. Your Makhani Gravy is ready.
7. Now add boiled Soak Black whole urad and Rajma (Red kidney beans) into gravy. Cook it for 5 minutes over medium heat.
8. Garnish it with butter or cream. Your Dal Makhani is ready.