Have Leftover rice and thinking of what to do???? No one wants to eat day old rice on its own. There are so many recipes from the leftover rice like dudhi muthia, cabbage muthiya, fried rice, Vegetable Gharvada and so on.
Today I am going to share the recipe of Vegetable Gharvada from the left over rice. This is my mother-in-laws recipe. I did some changes in this recipe. She makes it with leftover rice and besan / chick pea flour. I had some cabbage and zucchini in my refrigerator, so I added in this recipe. You can use any vegetable of your choice or you can skip that part too.
It tastes very delicious. This can be served in the breakfast or as a light dinner.
Grated Cabbage – 1 cup
Grated Zucchini – 1 cup
Leftover rice – 1 1/2 cup
Besan / Chick pea flour – 1 1/2 cup
Whole wheat flour – 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Chili powder – 1 1/2 tbsp (Adjust According to your spice level)
Cumin and coriander powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Lemon Juice – 3 tbsp
Sugar – 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 3 tbsp
Ginger and chili paste – 2 tsp
Some extra whole wheat flour for rolling
Oil or Ghee for Gharvada
Water as needed
1. Take Zucchini, cabbage, Rice*, salt, Chili powder, Turmeric powder, Sugar, Ginger and chili paste, Oil, Cumin and coriander powder, Garam Masala and lemon juice in a big mixing bowl. Mix them very well. Keep it aside for 10 minutes. Cabbage and Zucchini release the water.
2. Now add Besan and whole wheat flour. Mix them well and knead semi soft dough. Add water while kneading dough if needed.
3. Divide the dough into 12 equal parts. Flatten the balls.
4. Dip each ball in flour. Roll it into a circle about 6 to 7 inch diameter. Sprinkle some sesame seeds.
5. Heat tawa on a medium heat. Place the rolled Vegetable Gharvada on the tawa. The tawa should be medium hot.
6. Flip it when the base is 1/4 cooked. Spread some ghee or oil. Flip again when the second side is about half cooked. You will see brown spots now. Spread some ghee on this side now. Flip again a couple of times until you see brown spots and the gharvada cooks evenly.
7. Vegetable Gharvada is ready. Serve them hot with pickle and curd or have it with hot cup of tea.
*Mash rice little bit before adding.