Gujarati Kadhi is very quick recipe and within 20 minutes your Gujarati Kadhi will be ready. This Kadhi is excellent with Rice and Phulka or with khichadi. Gujarati Kadhi is a light dish. This is traditional Gujarati preparation of a wonderful sweet and spicy curd mixture thickened with besan.
Curd (Should be little bit sour) – 1 1/2 cup
Besan – 2 tbsp
Jaggery – 3 tbsp
Chopped coriander – 2 tbsp
Water – 2 1/2 cup
Ginger – 1 inch
Green chilies – 2
Salt to taste
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Whole red chilies – 2
Curry leaves – 4 to 5
Ghee – 2 tsp
Pinch of Asafoetida
Fenugreek seeds powder – 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
cloves – 3
1. Combine besan, curd and water in a deep bowl. Whisk them very well.
2. Let it cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add Green chilies, chopped ginger, Jaggery and salt. Mix them very well. Stir it continuously.
4. In another pan, heat ghee for tempering. Add cumin seeds. Let it splutter. Add fenugreek seeds powder, Asafoetida, cinnamon stick, curry leaves and whole red chilies. Stir it for 15 – 20 seconds.
5. Pour the tempering over the kadhi and let it simmer for 9 to 10 minutes over medium heat.
6. Your Gujarati Kadhi is ready. Garnish it with coriander / cilantro.
Note :- If your Kadhi overflows while cooking, Put one small steal bowl inside the kadhi pan. It will not overflow.