Jaisalmeri Chane is a black chickpeas curry in curd based gravy. This is a traditional dish from Jaisalmer, Rajasthan. It is also referred as Kala Chana Kadhi. Jaisalmeri Chane is a simple, delicious and very easy to prepare vegetarian side dish. The flavors of this gravy are mildly enhanced by the use of some fragrant spices.
Kala chana is very nutritious. It is rich in protein and fiber content. To make Jaisalmeri Chane, one needs to soak the dried, black chickpeas for around 6 hours or overnight. Once that is taken care of nothing else takes time.
Serve this super healthy Jaisalmeri Chane with Rice or Roti. I made this curry without onion and garlic. You can add if you wish to.
Jaisalmeri Chane is a black chickpeas curry in curd based gravy. This is a traditional dish from Jaisalmer, Rajasthan. It is also referred as Kala Chana Kadhi. It I simple, delicious and very easy to prepare. The flavors of this gravy are mildly enhanced by the use of some fragrant spices.
- 1 cup Dried Kala Chana
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- Hing Pinch
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Cumin and coriander powder
- 1 tbsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 1 1/2 cup Curd / yogurt
- 3 tbsp Besan
- Cilantro for garnishing
- Wash Kala chana and soak them in hot water for 6 hours or overnight.
- Drain the water and pressure cook it along with 4 cups of water. Take 4 to 5 whistles or until they are cooked. Drain the chana and keep it aside. Preserve the water.
- Take a mixing bowl. Add curd, besan, turmeric powder, chili powder, cumin and coriander powder and garam masala. Mix them well. Add salt and prepare the lump-free batter.
- In a pan, heat ghee. Add cumin seeds and hing. Let cumin seeds crackle.
- Add prepared curd mixture and preserved water (2 Cups). Let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Add boiled chana. Stir well. Cook it for 5 to 7 minutes on medium to high heat or until it thickens little bit.
- Jaisalmeri Chane is ready. Garnish it with cilantro. Serve this with Phulka roti or steamed rice. Enjoy.
Take sour curd (Not too much sour). If your curd is not sour, you may add lemon juice at the end.