Mango Kadhi / Fajeto is a Gujarati dish made with yogurt and chickpea flour. One of the most famed dish done during summer in every Gujarati home is called Fajeto. It is tangy, hot, sweet and simply delicious. I sometimes wonder if delicious is enough to describe this dish.
Usually Fajeto is made on the same day when Aamras / Keri No Ras is made. After making ras, you will have quite a few of mango seeds left. You cannot squeeze all the pulp from seeds and no one wants to waste. So these seeds along with some mango pulp are used for making Fajeto / Mango Kadhi. But I haven’t added seeds in my Fajeto this time. If you have any leftover seeds, you can add while making it and remove the seeds once Fajeto is boiled.
The sweetness of the mango and sourness from the curd / Yogurt, tempering of whole spices, all blends together in magical way. You must try it once. This Fajeto goes very well with rice, puri-ras, or chapati.
Please do check out my other type of kadhi recipes like…
Curd / yogurt (Sour) – 1 1/2 cup
Water – 1 cup + 3 cup
Besan / chickpea flour – 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Mango puree – 1 cup
Pinch of Hing
Pinch of Chili powder
Clove – 3
Cinnamon sticks – 2 small sticks
Green chili chopped
Ghee / clarified butter – 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
Red dried chilies – 2
Jaggery – 1 tbsp (Optional)
Cilantro for Garnishing
Video Recipe of Making Fajeto / Mango Kadhi
[ot-video type=”youtube” url=”https://youtu.be/46E-N-yaGXY”]
[blockquote style=”3″]Do you like our recipes? Please subscribe to WhatsApp NewsLetter and receive notification straight to your WhatsApp when new recipe posted. It will take less than a minute to subscribe.[/blockquote]
1. In a big Mixing bowl, take curd and besan. Whisk well. Add 1 cup of water and prepare lump free mixture.
2. In a pan, heat ghee. Add cinnamon, clove, red dried chilies, cumin seeds and hing. Saute them for few seconds.
3. Add prepared curd mixture. Mix well.
4. Now add mango pulp, 3 cups of water and salt. Stir well.
5. Let it boil for 5 minutes. Add pinch of chili powder, green chopped chilies and jaggery. Mix very well. Let it boil for another 10 minutes over medium heat. Add some more water if needed.
6. And Fajeto is ready. That simple!! Garnish it with cilantro and serve it with hot White rice.
1. Make sure curd is sour.
2. Add curry leaves in tempering. Gives very nice aroma and flavor.
3. Adjust the sweetness and sourness according to your taste.