CAPRESE GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH….. For National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Month.
April is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich month. So thought of making and sharing this yummy Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich recipe.
Anything that contains the word CAPRESE in the recipe, I am in. The Idea of making Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich came from a Caprese Salad which is a nice simple salad that contains of tomatoes, mozzarella and basil and I figured that it would make an excellent grilled cheese sandwich. This Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich is an Italian Twist on the traditional grilled sandwich.
Instead of using basil, I decided to go with a Basil Pesto as I was thinking a pesto would work better in this sandwich. Make your own Pesto or use store bought, choice is yours. I would prefer Homemade pesto as it is so easy to make and way way better than store bought. Fresh mozzarella works best in Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich. I had grated mozzarella in my fridge so I used that. But try to use fresh mozzarella. Use any rustic bread. I used Rustic Italian bread, you may use sourdough bread or baguette.
Looking for a delightfully simple and quick lunch or dinner idea for Sunday???? Look no further because it doesn’t get much easier than this Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich. This is best made in summer, when tomatoes and basil are at their peak.
Basil leaves – 2 cups
Crushed Roasted pine nuts or walnuts – 2 tbsp (I used walnuts)
Salt to taste
Extra virgin olive oil – 6 tbsp
Parmesan cheese – 1/4 cup
Garlic – 3 clove (Please Don’t Use Garlic if you are making Jain Sandwich)
Rustic Italian Bread or any other bread Slices
Fresh or grated mozzarella
1. Take basil, crushed roasted pine nuts or walnuts, salt, garlic and 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil in a blender or mortar and pestle.
2. Grind them. Add parmesan cheese and 3 tbsp remaining olive oil and mix them very well.
3. Your pesto is ready.
1. Preheat your grill pan or panini Maker (I used Panini Maker) over medium heat.
2. Spread pesto sauce on two slices of bread. Add mozzarella cheese.
3. Add tomato slices on one slice of bread. Again some mozzarella cheese on top of tomatoes.
4. And top with the second slice of bread.
5. Brush on some olive oil on the top piece of bread, Place it (Olive oil side down) on the preheated grill pan or panini.
6. Brush olive oil on the other side (Facing up).
7. Cook it first side until golden brown and crunchy. Flip the sandwich and cook the other side if you are using grill pan. If you are using panini Maker, no need to flip the sandwich.
8. Your yummy, cheesy Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich is ready. Serve immediately. Enjoy your Sunday!!!