In the summer, Mangoes are widely available in fresh produce section. How can you miss the recipes made from raw mangoes!!??? This year I shared couple of recipes using mangoes. Like Aam ki launji, Raw mango chutney, Mango Mojito and Today i come up with Raw Mango Rice. This rice recipe is from South India. It is popular in Andhra, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. It is also known as Mavinakayi Chitranna.
This Raw Mango Rice is prepared almost same as lemon rice. But here tanginess is coming from Mangoes. This recipe is very easy and very quick if your rice is ready or have some leftover. The tartness of the raw mangoes, sweetness of fresh coconut and the heat of the green chilies balance very well in this dish.
Raw Mango rice can be served with Curd, pickle and papad. You can also serve it as a side dish with main south Indian meal. This Raw Mango Rice recipe is perfect for kids lunch box.
Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Chana Dal – 2 tbsp
Urad dal – 2 tbsp
Peanut – 1/3 cup
Grated Raw Mango – 1 cup
Fresh grated coconut – 1/2 cup
Oil – 3 tbsp
Pinch of Red chili powder
Pinch of Hing
Salt to taste
Chopped green chilies – 2
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Some more grated coconut and cilantro for garnishing
Video recipe of Making Raw Mango Rice
[ot-video type=”youtube” url=”https://youtu.be/HgrKjr-mT0g”]
[blockquote style=”3″]Do you like our recipes? Please subscribe to WhatsApp NewsLetter and receive notification straight to your WhatsApp when new recipe posted. It will take less than a minute to subscribe.[/blockquote]
1. Wash and soak rice for 30 minutes. Boil 6 cups of water. Add salt and soaked rice. Cook rice until cooked(Not fully cooked). Drain it and keep it aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add chana dal and urad dal. saute them until golden brown. Add Mustard seeds. Let it crackle.
3. Add Peanut. (I forgot to add. So I sauted peanut in another pan in little bit oil and added to the mixture) Saute for a minute.
4. Add Hing, green chili and curry leaves. Add Grated raw mango. Saute for 2 minutes on medium heat.
5. Now add coconut and again cook for a minute or 2.
6. Its time to season the mixture with salt, turmeric powder and chili powder. Mix well.
7. Now add cooked rice. Mix gently. Cook it for a minute.
8. Raw Mango Rice is ready. Garnish it with coconut and cilantro. Enjoy!!