Mushroom Kurma is a very yummy and easy side dish for chapati, poori or rice. You can prepare this curry in no time. Kurma is made with yogurt, cashews, coconut and spices. In this curry, the Mushroom are simmered in the onion and tomato along with the spices and the final touch of yogurt and paste of coconut, cashews, chana dal and urad dal makes it creamy and flavorful. When poori is eaten with Mushroom Kurma , that will be the best combination.
Serves 3 to 4 people
For the paste
Oil – 1 tbsp
Chana dal – 1 tbsp
Urad dal – 1 tbsp
Cashews – 8 pieces
shredded dry or fresh coconut – 2 tbsp
Curry leaves – 5 to 7
Chopped Mushroom lengthwise – 400 gm
Finely chopped tomato – 2 medium
Finely chopped onion – 1/2 medium
Finely chopped garlic – 3 cloves
Chopped curry leaves – 5 to 6
Ginger – chili paste – 1/2 tbsp
Red chili powder – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Cumin and coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Yogurt – 2 tbsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Kasuri Methi – 1 tsp
For the paste
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add Chana dal and Urad dal. Roast them until dal gets light brown in color. Add curry leaves, cashew and cook it for a minute over a medium to low heat. Add coconut and mix well. Switch off the flame. Don’t cook it for long time, it may burn. Let them cool down.
2. Take this roasted mixture into blender, grind it in to a very smooth paste using 1 cup water.
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds. Let it splutter. Add ginger-chili paste, garlic and curry leaves. Cook them for few seconds.
2. Add Chopped tomato, chopped onion and cook them for 2 minutes over medium heat.
3. Add chopped Mushroom and salt. Mix them well.
4. Add 1/2 cup of water, cover it with lid and cook them for 3 – 4 minutes over medium heat or until Mushroom are cooked. Mushroom will not take longer time to cook.
5. Now add turmeric powder, chili powder, cumin and coriander powder and garam masala. Mix them well.
6. Add prepared Coconut paste and yogurt. Mix them well. Let it simmer for 5 minutes over medium to low heat. Stir occasionally. Add Kasuri methi and mix well. Switch off the flame.
7. Your Mushroom Kurma is ready. Garnish it with Coriander / cilantro and serve it with Poori, Rice, Biryani, Paratha, Naan or Phulka.