Vegetable Panchmel Khichdi is healthy variation of simple rice khichdi. Panch menas five things and Mel means mixture. So here Panchmel means the mixture of five grains – lentils, rice and Daliya (Broken wheat). Khichdi is a pot of rice and moong dal lentil cooked togather. But the version I have for you today has lots of flavor of spices and it is enriched by the tons of fresh vegetables. Even better, I make it with different types of lentils and daliya. You can add any vegetables of your choice to this Khichdi.
If you want to make complete meal and something healthy, easy and quick, try this Vegetable Panchmel Khichdi. It is the best meal to serve to children and people recovering from illness. It is very easy to digest. Serve it with Pickle, curd, papad and onion. I have shared Instant Mango Pickle recipe, goes very well with this Khichdi.
Tuvar Dal / Arhar Dal – 1/4 cup
Split moong dal – 1/4 cup
Masoor Dal – 1/4 cup
Moong dal with skin – 2 tbsp
Uncooked Rice – 1/2 cup
Daliya / Broken wheat – 1/2 cup
Bell peppers / Capsicum – 1 cup
Chopped potatoes – 1/2 cup
Chopped Onion – 1/2 cup
Green peas / Mutter – 1/2 cup
Chopped carrots – 1/2 cup
Oil – 1 tbsp
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Small Cinnemon stick
Clove – 3 to 4
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp (Optional)
Ginger-chili paste or grated – 2 tsp
Chopped garlic – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 7 to 8
Salt to taste
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Cumin and corieander powder – 1 tsp
Water – 5 cups
1. Mix all the lentils, rice and daliya. Wash them very well and soak it for 30 mins.
2. Heat oil and ghee in pressure cooker. Add Cinnamon, cloves, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds. Let it splutter.
3. Add Ginger-chili paste, garlic and curry leaves. Saute it for few seconds.
4. Add all the vegetables and mix well. Saute them for 1 to 2 minutes over medium heat.
5. Drain water for the soaked mixture of lentil and rice. Add this into the vegetables. Stir well.
6. Add 5 cups of water and all the spices. Mix them well. Close the lid. Pressure cook it until 3 whistles over medium to high heat.
7. Let the pressure cooker cools down.
8. Vegetable Panchmel Dal is ready. Serve this with Pickles, Papad and curd. Enjoy this soothing one pot meal.