This Vada is prepared specially on Kali Chaudas (A day before Diwali). It is also called Kakraat na vada or Chhum vada. Many Gujarati families still perform the ritual called ‘kakraat kadhvu(removing domestic rifts)’ by putting vadas and other stuff at crossroads for vehicals to crush them.
Moreover to the rituals, this vada is known for its unique taste. It is healthy too. There are many ways to prepare this vada, some use only rice and lentils and some people use Bajri flour, corn flour and sooji. But today I prepared with combination of both to make it more nutritious.
Rice Flour – 1/2 cup
Urad flour – 1/4 cup
Moong Dal flour – 2 tbsp
Yellow corn flour – 1 cup
Besan – 1/2 cup
Bajri flour – 1/2 cup
Rava/sooji/semolina – 1/2 cup
Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
Sugar and salt to taste
Yogurt – 1 cup(should be sour)
Oil – 3 tbsp
Garlic, Ginger and chili paste – 3 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chili powder – 1 tsp
Oil for deep frying
1. Take all the flours and rava in a mixing bowl.
2. Add yogurt and mix it very well. Knead a soft dough. Add water if needed. Let this dough rest for 1 – 2 hours.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add ginger-garlic-chili paste. Saute it for few seconds. Add this into dough.
4. Season it with Chili powder, sugar, salt and turmeric powder. Mix it well.
5. Heat oil in a pan for deep frying Vada. Apply water on fingers. Put vada batter on it. Flatten Vadas using fingers.
6. Deep fry it until golden brown in color over medium heat. It will puff up.
7. Your Vada are ready.
Serve it with Curd, Sweet chutney or green mint chutney.