Sabudana Thalipeeth is a very popular Maharastrian dish. This dish is made from Sabudana(Tapioca Pearls). This is perfect for fasting days and Navaratri Vrat. Ingredients of Sabudana Vada and Sabudana Thalipeeth are the same but the taste and texture is totally different. Sabudana vada is fried in oil where as Sabudana Thalipeeth is made in ghee. It tastes very delicious and is quite filling.
Sabudana / Sago seeds – 1 cup
Boiled Potatoes – 1 medium size
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Ginger chili paste – 1 tbsp (Adjust according to your spice level)
Roasted peanut powder – 4 tbsp
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander/cilantro – 2 tbsp
1. Wash and soak sabudana in enough water for 5 to 6 hours. Your sabudana should be well soaked. After 5 – 6 hours drain out excess water.
2. Mix sabudana, Ginger-chili paste, mashed potatoes, cumin seeds, salt, coriander and peanut powder. Make a soft dough.
3. Take thin plastic. Apply some water. Make 6 equal size balls from the dough. Take one ball and Place the it over plastic. Grease the ball with some oil and cover it with plastic sheet. Now with the help of hands, press it in round shape.
4. Heat non stick tava/griddle on a medium high. Remove the rolled thalipeeth from the plastic sheet very carefully and place it on tawa/griddle. Make a small hole in the center and pour some ghee in the hole as well as around the edges. When the color gets golden brown in the bottom, flip the side and cook until gets golden brown from both the sides. Do the same process with the rest of balls.
5. Your Sabudana Thalipeeth is ready. Serve hot with Curd. If you are not making this thalipeeth for fasting, serve it with Mint-coriander chutney and tomato ketchup.