Aloo Paratha recipe is from Punjab. Potato mixture is used as a stuffing. There are many ways of making potato stuffing. This is Dhaba Style Punjabi Aloo Paratha recipe. In this recipe, the use of dry pomegranate seeds, carom seeds and coriander seeds in the potato stuffing makes a big difference in the taste. This Punjabi Aloo Paratha taste slightly spicy, tangy and little bit sour. I also add some chaat masala and Dry Mango powder/aamchur powder. Chat masala is optional though.
For Paratha dough
Whole wheat flour – 2 cups
Salt to taste
Water as required.
For Potato stuffing
Boiled and mashed potatoes – 2 cups
Crushed pomegrate seeds – 1/4 tsp
Crushed coriander seeds – 1/4 tsp
Carom seeds/ajwaiin – 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Dry mango powder/aamchur powder – 1 tbsp
Chaat masala – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Finely Chopped green chilies -1 tbsp
Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
Finely chopped onion – 1/4 cup
Finely chopped cilantro/coriander – 2 tbsp
Ghee or oil for frying.
Extra wheat flour for rolling
For the Dough.
1. Mix the flour and salt. Add water and knead to a smooth and soft dough. Cover and let the dough rest for 15 to 20 minutes. Divide them into equal parts
For potato Stuffing
2. Take mashed potato in a big mixing bowl. Add the ingredients of stuffing one by one and mix them very well. Taste the stuffing add more of the spices or salt if needed. Divide the balls into equal portion.
3. Take one dough ball, dip it into dry flour and roll into 4 inch diameter circle. Place one potato ball in the center, gather the edges and pinch it into the center to seal it properly. Flatten it with your hands.
4. Again dip into dry flour and roll it into a normal size of roti.
5. On the hot tava/griddle place the rolled paratha. The tave should be hot. When the base is partly cooked, flip the paratha.
6. Spread some ghee or oil. Flip it again and spread some ghee or oil. Flip again once or twice until both the sides are cooked properly. Press the edges with the spatula or spoon, so that it fried well. Make all the remaining Punjabi Aloo Paratha this way.
7. Dhaba Style Punjabi Aloo Paratha is ready. Serve them hot with dollop of butter, pickle and curd.