Kung Pao Baby Corn Potato is a spicy stir fry dish made with Baby corn, Potatoes. peanuts and chili peppers. While Kung Pao is one of the most popular dishes from the Schezuan region, Indian cooks have for years now adapted it to suit local tastes. The dry red chili provides the fiery taste to baby corn and potatoes. This dish gives Spicy, sweet and tangy taste. It is easy to make and you can be as sloppy with measurements as you want. You can use any vegetables, Paneer or tofu. Kids as well as grown up loves this dish.
This dish is one of my families favorite dish. You can have it as it is or have it with white steamed rice. Make it as a starter or as a main course, you can’t go wrong!!! Enjoy.
Serves 3 to 4 people (If Served as main course)
Baby Potatoes or Potatoes cut into big square pieces – 500 gms
Baby corn cut into 2 inch pieces – 400 gms
Green and red bell pepper / Capsicum – 2 cup
Finely chopped Garlic – 1 tbsp
Finely chopped ginger – 1 tbsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Sweet and sour sauce or red chili sauce – 2 tbsp
Soya sauce – 1 tbsp
Corn flour – 2 tbsp
Water or vegetable stock as needed
Oil for frying
Roasted Peanuts – 1/2 cup
Spring Onion for garnishing
For chili paste
Garlic – 6 cloves
Dried Red chilies – 2 big
For marinating the baby corn
All Purpose flour / Maida – 3 tbsp
Corn flour – 2 tbsp
Water – 1/2 cup or as needed
salt to taste
1. Boil the potatoes. Not fully boiled, only 80 % boiled.
For marinating Baby corn
2. Take All purpose flour, corn flour, salt and water in a mixing bowl. Make a smooth thick paste.
3. Add baby corn in this thick paste and coat them very well. Keep it aside for 15 minutes.
For chili Paste
4. Soak dried red chilies into water for 15 minutes. Place red dried chilies and garlic into blender, grind them and make a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
Lets fry Potaotes and Baby corn
5. Fry Potatoes and baby corn until light golden brown in color.
6. Heat 2 tbsp Oil in a pan. Add Ginger and garlic. Saute it for few seconds over high heat.
7. Add Prepared chili and garlic paste, soy sauce and salt. Mix them well.
8. Add Bell pepper / capsicum and sweet and sour chili sauce. Mix them and cook it for 2 minutes over a high heat. Add 3 cups of water.
9. Take 2 tbsp corn flour in a bowl add 1/2 cup water, mix it and add this mixture to the bell pepper mixture. Stir it.
10. Add Fried Potatoes and Baby corn into this sauce. Mix them and cook it for 2 minutes. Sprinkle peanuts and stir.
11. Your Kung Pao Baby Corn Potato is ready. Garnish it with spring onion and serve hot with steam rice.
- Mix corn and potatoes into the sauce when you are ready to eat to feel the crunchy taste.
- I used whole baby potatoes, but after tasting this dish, I realize that chopped cubed potatoes will give better taste. The sauce coats easily.
- I used La choy brand sweet and sour sauce (In USA).