Gajar Ka Halwa, sometimes known as Gajrela, Carrot Halwa or Gajar ka Gajarela, is a sweet dessert pudding associated mainly with the state of Punjab in India. It is made by placing grated carrot in a pot containing specific amount of water or milk and sugar and cooking while stirring regularly. It is often served with a garnish of almonds, cashews and pistachios. It is famous dessert which is favorite all over Northern India and Pakistan. The Gajar Ka Halwa is served hot during the Winter. Now Gajar ka Halwa is a popular worldwide dessert with many variations. The Gajar Ka Halwa was first introduced during the Mughal period and the name originates from an Arabic word “Halwa”, which means sweet.
This recipe uses full fat milk. You don’t need khoya or condensed milk to make Gajar Ka Halwa because the milk will give a grainy and creamy taste. It is very important to buy nice juicy carrots. This Gajar Ka Halwa stays well for a week in the fridge.
Grated carrots – 4 cups
Whole milk – 4 cups
Sugar – 1 cup or as required
Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
sliced Cashew, Almond, raisins – 1/4 cup
1. In a pan combine milk and grated carrots. Bring it to a boil Over a low to medium heat.
2. Keep on stirring in between.
3. The milk will start to reduce.
4. When the milk is 80% reduced, add sugar, cardamom and nuts to the mixture. Mix it very well and continue to simmer on a low flame. Keep Stirring.
5. Let the mixture simmer till all the milk is evaporated. Switch of the flame.
6. Your Gajar Ka Halwa is ready. Garnish it with pistachios and serve it warm or cold as per your preference.