Gulab Jamun is a favorite Indian Dessert for many people, including me. In weddings, birthday parties or even in thalis, Gulab Jamun happens to be one of the desserts. Gulab Jamun is a treat always. On last Diwali I shared recipe of Kala Jamun. So thought let’s make Gulab Jamun on this Diwali and share it with you guys. This is no fail recipe.
There are many ways to make Gulab Jamuns. Authentically they are made with khoya / Mawa. Gulab Jamuns are also made from milk powder, bread and with sweet potatoes. But it taste best when it is made with khoya.
I made 100 Gulab Jamun for Diwali Get together. Everyone liked it very much. So this recipe is for 100 Gulab Jamuns. You can half the quantity or quarter the quantity depending upon your need.
Khoya / Mawa – 900 gms
Grated Paneer – 400 gms
Maida / All purpose flour – 9 tbsp
Sooji – 6 tbsp
Baking Powder – 1 tsp
Oil or ghee for frying (I used oil)
Cardamom Powder – 1 tsp
Milk – 3 tbsp or as required
Sugar – 1 kg
Water – 5 cups
Rose water – 1 tbsp
Cardamom Powder – 1 tsp
Saffron – 1/2 tsp
1. Take Khoya / Mawa in a bowl. Mash them very well. Mix grated paneer with khoya. Mix them very well. There should be no lumps. Add maida, sooji, baking powder and cardamom powder to the mashed khoya and paneer mixture. Mix well. Add milk and gather them to form a dough with milk. Dont knead them, just mix them. If you are unable to form into ball and if the mixture looks dry, then add teaspoon of milk. Cover the dough and keep it aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Take one portion of Mawa Mixture, Flatten it and place one pistachios in the center and cover it up. This should have no cracks on the surface otherwise gulab jamun will crack while frying. Do the same process with remaining mixture. Cover them with kitchen towel and keep it aside.
1. Combine the sugar with water in a pan. Bring it to a boil. Add cardamom powder, rose water and saffron.
2. Cook it over a medium heat till the syrup is 1 string consistency.
3. Keep the syrup warm. On cooling if the sugar syrup crystalizes, then add 1 cup water and warm syrup again.
Frying the Gulab Jamuns
1. Heat oil until its medium hot. Lower the flame on medium to low heat. Gently place the prepared Jamun in the oil. Once they start to have golden spots, keep on rotating them in the oil with the spatula, so that the Gulab Jamun are evenly browned.
2. Place this hot fried gulab jamun in the warm syrup. Continue frying all the jamuns and place them in sugar syrup.
3. Make sure all the jamuns are well covered with sugar syrup. Let them rest for 5 to 6 hours.
4. Gulab Jamun is ready. Serve them warm or cold.