Since I love Baingan recipes and Bharva Baingan is one of my favorites, I thought I should try a Baingun Ka Salan. And the bonus part is Baingan is from U pick Farm. Last Wednesday, me and my son went for U-pick. There were lots of vegetables for U-Pick like Carrots, Red Jalapenos, Green Jalapenos, Chauli / Long beans, Small Baingan / Eggplant, Big eggplants, green onion, Cucumber, tomatoes, Zucchini and Okra / Bhindi. We picked all kind of vegetables.
Baingan Ka Salan is spin on the popular Mirchi Ka Salan. Baingan Ka Salan is popular Hyderabadi curry recipe. It contains peanuts, dried coconut, sesame seeds, ginger and garlic paste, basic Indian spices and, for sourness, either thick tamarind juice is used or curd/yogurt. I have used sour curd/yogurt to make this salan. This Baingan Ka Salan accompanies Hyderabadi Biryani. I have shared pressure cooker version of vegetable biryani. For the recipe please Click Here. You can serve salan with Chapathi or plain rice as well.
Baingan Ka Salan is spicy in nature. The nuts and those spices add a majestic touch to the dish. It makes it Royal. The spiciness, tanginess of the sour yogurt, richness and creaminess of peanut-coconut-sesame paste with the hint of mint makes this dish so scrumptious that hardly anyone can resist it.
I have dip fried the eggplant / Baingan, but you may shallow fry it too. If you love Baingan / Eggplant recipe as much as I do, then give this a try.
Baingan / Eggplant – 300 grams (around 6 medium size)
Chopped onion – 1/2 cup
Peanut – 1/4 cup
Sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
Dried coconut – 1 tbsp
Grated or crushed ginger-garlic – 1 tbsp
Curry Leaves – 6 to 7
Salt to taste
Chili powder – 1/2 tbsp
Cumin and coriander Powder – 1/2 tbsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/8 tsp (A pinch)
Pinch of Hing
Sour curd/dahi/yogurt – 1 cup
Oil – 2 tbsp + for frying
Water – 2 cups or as needed
Video Recipe Of Baingan Ka Salan
[ot-video type=”youtube” url=”https://youtu.be/dKqg83ejPnw”]
[blockquote style=”3″]Do you like our recipes? Please subscribe to WhatsApp NewsLetter and receive notification straight to your WhatsApp when new recipe posted. It will take less than a minute to subscribe.[/blockquote]
1. Heat oil. Cut the eggplant/baingan into criss cross form. Deep fry them until it change the color. Take them out onto absorbent paper and keep them aside.
2. In a another pan, dry roast peanut, sesame seeds and coconut until it change the color into light brown. Let it cool down. Make a fine paste using some water and keep it aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds. Let it crackle.
4. Add ginger-garlic paste, hing and curry leaves. Saute it for few seconds.
5. Now add chopped onion. Saute it for few minutes or until onion turns light brown in color.
6. Now add turmeric powder, chili powder, garam masala and cumin-coriander powder. Mix well.
7. Add prepared Peanut-sesame-coconut paste. Stir well. Now add water, salt, give it a good stir and cover the lid. Let it cook on slow flame for about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add water if needed.
8. Whisk curd and add. Stir well. Add fried eggplant. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
9. Baingan Ka Salan is ready. Garnish it with fresh mint leaves and Cilantro. Serve this with plain rice, Roti or Biryani. Enjoy.
Do check out my other Baingan / Eggplant recipes like –