Whole Wheat Pita Bread is a soft, slightly leavened flatbread baked from Whole wheat flour. It is used in many Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines and resembles other slightly leavened flatbreads such as south Asian flatbreads and Central Asian naan and pizza crust. Pita bread is a middle eastern flat bread that puff up when baked in a hot oven, but collapse as they cool down, the pocket in pita bread is created by steam, which puffs up the dough, as the bread cools and flattens, a pocket is left in the middle.
They are also the easiest bread to make. earlier I made Pita Bread with all purpose flour, but this time made it with 100% whole wheat flour. You will need very few ingredients. These are fool-proof. These are very delicious and healthy too. The main part is, which I love watching them through the oven door mirror while baking, when they puffing up. They end up looking like pillows when pull them from the oven.
I made some pita bread with Italian herbs as well. They tastes awesome.
You can make so many things out of this pocket pita bread such as falafel sandwich, pita bread pizza, you can stuff it with potato patty and with salads or you can eat them with hummus.
This recipe will make 8 whole wheat pita bread
Active dry yeast – ½ tablespoon
Sugar – 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste
Whole wheat flour – 3 cup
Oil – 2 tablespoon (I used light olive oil)
Warm water – 1 ¼ cup
Preheat oven @ 500 degree F.
1. Take warm water in a bowl. Add yeast and sugar. stir until dissolved. Let sit for 10 minutes until water is frothy.
2. Take whole wheat flour in big bowl. Add salt and oil. Mix it well. Add yeast water and knead soft and sticky dough. Add more warm water if needed.
3. Grease a Bowl with oil. Put dough in a bowl. Apply oil over dough. Cover it and let it rise for 1 hour. Rest it in a warm place.
4. Dust the working surface and knead the dough again. And divide the dough into 8 equal parts.
5. Cover it and let it rest for another 20 minutes.
6. Take a rolling board, dust it with some whole wheat flour and roll the ball like chapati. Not too thin like chappati. Cover the rolled pita bread with kitchen towel and Let it rest for 10 minutes. Apply Italian Herbs while rolling if you want flavored pita bread. Place it on cookie pan or on pizza stone.
7. Bake rolled pita into preheated oven at 500 degree F. for 7 to 8 minutes or until pita is golden brown in color.
8. Pita will puff like a balloon. Do the same process with remaining balls.
9. Cover it Immediately in kitchen towel.
10. Whole Wheat Pita Bread is ready.
Serve it with Hummus or make sandwiches.