Spicy Mexican Italiano Salad is zippy, flavorful and fun. it is very delicious. I made this salad recently and was amazed with its taste. Its versatile, and you can add whatever other ingredients you want. This is a quick, easy and refreshing salad that is pretty healthy because it contains Veggies, Fiber and Protein and its low in fat. This recipe is also great as a leftover so do not be afraid to make ahead and store in your fridge. During summer time, this salad is best. This salad is perfect for picnic or birthday party.
Add Cheese to this salad if you aren’t worried about calories, but this really doesn’t need it. In the dressing, I have used Orange zest* and juice, lemon zest* and juice, honey, Mexican seasoning and other spices. If you don’t have Mexican seasoning, you can use cumin powder, chili powder and black pepper powder.
Serves 4 people.
Boiled pasta – 2 cup (You can use any shape or variety)
Boiled black beans / Rajma – 2 cup
Chopped Green, Orange and red bell pepper / capsicum – 2 cup
Sweet corn – 1 cup (I use frozen, thaw it and use)
Chopped Tomato – 1 cup
Chopped green onion – 1/2 cup
Chopped Cucumber – 1 cup
Chopped avocado – 1 medium size
Cilantro / Coriander – 1/2 cup
Oranges zest* and juice – 1 medium
Lemon zest* and juice – 1 medium
Grated garlic – 1 clove
Mexican taco seasoning – 1 tbsp
Honey – 1 tbsp
Olive oil – 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Red chili flacks – 1 tsp
Chopped Basil leaves – 1 tsp
1. Combine orange zest, orange juice, lemon zest, lemon juice, grated garlic, honey, Mexican seasoning, Basil leaves, olive oil, salt and red chili flakes in a bowl. Mix them very well and let it rest for 5 minutes.
2. Mix Pasta, black beans, bell pepper, cucumber, tomato, onion, corn, cilantro and avocado in a big mixing bowl.
3. Toss this mixture with the prepared dressing very well. Cover it and let it rest for 30 minutes in the freeze.
4. Your Spicy Mexican Italiano salad is ready. Serve it chilled. Enjoy!!!!
Note :- Orange zest and lemon zest is the top layer of the orange and lemon peel. It contains fruits oil and adds a bright citrus flavor to the dish. Below is the step by step process of how to zest and orange and lemon.
1. Wash the orange and lemon properly.
2. Place the grater on a bowl or plate.
3. Scrape the orange and lemon along the grater from top to bottom. Take off only the rind of the oranges skin and not the white part. White part tastes bitter.
4. Rotate the orange slightly after each scrape.
5. keep turning and scraping until the top layer of peel is removed. Your zest is ready.