Rice Kheer, an Indian style pudding, is popular dessert / sweet prepared in many household throughout India. In this preparation Rice is cooked in milk and sugar. It is flavored with cardamom powder and saffron. There are many vaariations in making kheer like Carrot Kheer, Sabudana Kheer, Lauki Kheer, Daliya Kheer and many more recipes. Among all of them Rice kheer is most popular. Today is Mahavir Janm Kalyanak Day so made Rice Kheer, Dry Whole Mung Beans Sabzi and Puri.
Making Rice Kheer at home is very easy. It takes only 30 minutes to prepare. It requires very few ingredients. Rice Kheer is made in two ways. One is with Cooked rice and second is Uncooked rice. I like to make it with uncooked rice. My family like thick Rice Kheer. If prefer little bit thin, reduce the rice quantity.
Milk – 4 cups / 1 liter
Uncooked rice – 1/4 cup
Sugar – 6 tbsp or as required
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
Saffron for garnishing
Chopped Almonds for garnishing
Chopped pistachios for garnishing
1. Rinse rice 2 to 3 times. Soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes.
2. Heat milk in heavy bottom pan. Let it come to a boil.
3. Drain the rice and add the soaked rice. Reduce the flame over medium to low heat.
4. Stir and simmer the milk and let the grain cook. It will take about 25 minutes to cook the rice. Continue to stir often so that lumps are not formed.
5. Add sugar and cardamom powder. Stir well and let it cook for another 5 more minutes. Stir it continuously. Remember to scraping the sides.
6. Rice kheer is ready. You can serve it hot or warm or chilled. We like it chilled. Pour in serving bowl and refrigerate it for at least 2 hours. Garnish it with Almond and Pistachios. It tastes best with puri.