Ragda Patties is a popular Indian fast food or snack. This snack is usually served at fast food restaurants. This dish is a two part preparation, Ragda and Patties. Ragda is prepared by soaking white or yellow peas overnight in a pressure cooker. The patties are made from boiled mashed potatoes. It is then garnished with finely chopped onion, sweet chutney, mint and coriander chutney, garlic chutney and with sev. A plate of Ragda Patties along with glass of Chhas or lassi makes for a filling, wholesome evening meal.
Serves 3 people
Dried white peas – 1 cup
Boiled and chopped potato – 1/2 cup
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Bay leaves / Taj patta – 2
Cloves – 2
Cinnamon – 1 inch
Red chili powder – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Pinch of Asafoetida
Coriander and cumin powder – 1/2 tbsp
Garam masala – 1tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Water – 3 cups
Boiled and mashed potatoes – 4 medium size
Salt to taste
Ginger and garlic paste – 1 tsp
Finely chopped green chilies – 1 tsp
Pinch of turmeric powder
Corn flour or arrowroot
1. Rinse and soak Dried peas overnight. Drain the water, rinse it, put it into a big bowl, add 3 cups water and pressure cook them for 4 to 5 whistles or until cooked.
2. When the pressure falls in the cooker on its own, open the lid.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add Cumin seeds, bay leaves, cloves and cinnamon. Let them cook for few seconds.
4. Add boiled peas. Mix them very well. Check the consistency of the ragda. Ragda should be not be thick or thin. Add water if needed.
5. Add chopped boiled potatoes, Chili powder, salt, Garam masala, cumin and coriander powder and turmeric powder. Mix them well.
6. Cook them for 5 to 6 minutes over medium heat.
7. Ragda is ready.
1. Take a big mixing bowl. Add all the ingredients of patties except corn flour. Mix them well.
2. Make small sized balls of the potato mixture. Flatten them into round patties, deep them into corn flour and keep them aside.
3. Heat tawa and place patties. apply oil over patties. Shallow fry patties until patties become golden brown and crisp both the sides. Patties is ready.
2. Ragda Patties is ready. Serve immediately.