Dabeli, also called as Kutchi Dabeli or Kachchhi Dabeli, is a street food which originated in Kutch. It is a very Popular street food. It can be easily found in Mumbai as well as Gujarat. Basically Dabeli is, pav or bun stuffed with a tangy, spicy and sweet potato filling combined with onion, garlic chutney, Sweet chutney, masala peanuts and pomegranates. Dabeli Masala is easily available in the grocery stores. I have shared picture of Dabeli Masala which I have used. I could not find Pomegranate seeds when I made Dabeli so I did not use but if you get them, use them. It really gives nice taste. I have used burger buns instead of laadi pav as I don’t have time to make it and burger bun is easily available where I live. This is perfect for the picnic, birthday parties or as on the go snack.
This recipe makes 8 to 10 Dabeli
Boiled, peeled and mashed potatoes – 3 cups
Dabeli masala – 4 tbsp (Adjust according to taste) (Any Brand of your choice)
Salt to taste
Water – 3 tbsp
Sweet chutney as per taste
Garlic chutney as per taste
Chopped Onion – 1/2 cup
Sev – 3/4 cup
Cilantro / coriander chopped – 3 tbsp
Masala shing or Rosted peanuts / shing – 1/2 cup
Oil – 3 tbsp
Pav / bun – 8 to 10
1. Heat Oil in a non stick pan. Add Dabeli masala and water. Mix them well for 1 minute over medium heat.
2. Add potatoes and salt. Cook it for 3 to 4 minutes over medium heat. Remove from the flame, transfer it into a plate and press well with the back of a spoon. Let the mixture cools down.
3. Sprinkle cilantro, peanuts and onion on top of the prepared potato mixture. Keep it aside.
4. Take a Pav / Bun and slit it. Apply Garlic chutney and sweet chutney evenly on the inner side of the both slices of pav. Stuff with stuffing and top it up with sev. Cover it with another slice of Pav / bun
5. Just before serving, heat the tawa and cook each Dabeli for a minute or until golden brown in color using butter on both the sides.
6. Dabeli is ready. Serve immediately with extra sweet chutney and garlic chutney.