Crispy Fried Onions – Beautiful Golden deep fried onions usually use for Biryanis. These golden beauties are also called Birista or beresta or Onions for biryani.
These crispy fried onions are loaded with so many flavors that I can’t stop munching on them. 🙂
How to make crispy Fried Onions for Vegetable Biryani. Birista | Beresta | onions for Biryani.
Crispy Fried onions also called Birista | Beresta is very essential for good biryani. Biryani is incomplete without crispy fried onions.
Crispy fried onions are used for garnishing as well as cooking for biryanis. You can also use it in Dal, curries, Pulaos, casseroles etc. They make dishes tastier.
For extra flavors and crunch, you can try them on
Beresta is full of flavors and it takes any dish to the next level.
They are easily available in any Indian Grocery store.
But I prefer to make my own Birista for biryanis and any other dishes as a topping. I usually make it in a large batch and freeze it. It stays well in an airtight container or in Ziploc bags for a year in the freezer. So its totally worth to make fried onions for biryanis at home in large quantity.
Frying the onions slices in a big batch defiantly makes the job easier later.
Though the process of making Birista / Fried onion for biryani is only frying the onions in oil till browned, there are some tips and tricks which will help to make perfect Birista for biryani at home.
Some tips and tricks to make crispy, golden brown Birista at home.
Use thinly and equally sliced onions so that they get fried equally and well.
Make sure to fry onions in hot oil or else they would turn soggy and oily.
Drain all the extra moisture from onions by placing onions on a paper towel for about an hour.
The oil should be enough to cover the onions.
Keep in mind that onions will brown slightly more even after taking out from the oil.
Crispy Fried Onions
- 1 kg - Onions I have used brown onions
- 2 1/2 cups - oil for frying
- Peel the Onions and wash them.
- Cut the onions into thin and even slices.
- Take a large paper towel and spread the onion slices over it. Keep it aside for an hour to get rid of the excess moisture.
- Heat oil in a pan
- When the oil is hot, add the half of the sliced onions.
- Fry them on high heat for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Now simmer the heat and fry until onions are golden brown in color and crispy, stirring the onions occasionally.
- Remove the onions on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Do the same process with the remaining half sliced onions.
- Keep in mind that onions will brown slightly more even after taking out from the oil.
- Leave the birista on the plate for 10 minutes or until cool down completely.
- Store in an airtight container and freeze it until next use. Stays good up to a year in the freezer.
Pin It For Later –