Sev Masoor / Dalmoth recipe is one of the popular Namkeen snacks in North India. It is made using Whole Masoor / Whole red lentils, sev, and some spices.
My mom used to make this during Diwali or just for a snack. Dal moth Namkeen one is one of the easiest snack / namkeen recipes with very few ingredients which is easily available in your pantry.
It is spicy, tangy, soft from inside and crunchy from outside.
Sev Masoor is a great tea time snack, perfect to munch on and perfects to take on a trip. This lasts for months. There are many variations in making this namkeen.
Some add cashews, some add fried chana dal. I have skipped adding in this as everyone likes it simple at my home. If you like you can add them. This is Mildly spiced namkeen.
You can alter the spices as per your liking. This is gluten-free and vegan snack recipe.
Dont forget to check out one of the favorites recipe Roasted Oats and Papad Chevda.
Sev masoor / Dalmoth recipe
- 1 cup Whole Masoor / Red lentil
- 1 cup Sev / Nylon Sev
- 1 tsp Black Salt / Sanchal powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- Pinch of Hing
- Oil for frying
- Wash and soak Masoor overnight or 6 to 7 hours.
- Rinse again, strain it and spread evenly in a kitchen or paper towel for 15 to 20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and dal becomes dry. (Change the paper towel if required).
- In a bowl, mix salt, black salt, chili powder, turmeric powder, and hing. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan until smoking point. Add Masoor in batches and fry until golden brown or until it floats on top and the shhhh sounds eases from oil. (You can see in the video bubbles in oil while Masoor was added and when it gets fried there are almost no bubbles and it floats on top). Keep fried masoor in kitchen tissue to remove excess oil. Sometimes it is hard to take out fried Masoor from oil. To make it easy I prefer to use a bowl with holes. Just add masoor and carefully place this bowl in the oil(Please refer video) and fry it, stirring occasionally. That way you can take out fried masoor easily. Repeat same for rest of the Masoor.
- Once all the masoor gets fried, add prepared masala, sev and mix well. Allow the mixture to cool completely before storing in air-tight container. This stays fresh for up to 2 months.
- Sev Masoor / Dalmooth is ready. Enjoy this with tea or coffee. 🙂
Don't Forget to watch quick Video