Kerala Vegetable Stew is so easy to prepare and very delicious with very just few spices and veggies. You just need to temper and cook the veggies with coconut milk. You can have it with steamed rice, idiyappam or Appams. I have used store bought coconut milk. Usually I always have carrots, beans, potatoes , cauliflower and peas at home. So I have used those veggies. But you may use any veggies of your choice or use whatever you have in the fridge.
My whole family loves this vegetable stew. Last week it was raining. And we spent most of our time slurping soups. Apart from soups, we also made Kerala vegetable stew. Its nutritious, comforting and delicious. This vegetable stew is one of my favorite winter foods.
The Richness of Cashews and coconut milk is what makes Kerala Vegetable Stew the best ever.
Cauliflower chopped – 1 cup
Carrots chopped – 1 cup (Avoid if making Jain)
Bell Pepper, green and red chopped – 1 cup
Green beans chopped – 1 cup
Green peas – 1 cup
Chopped potatoes – 1 cup
Chopped onion – 1 cup (Avoid for Jain)
Crushed garlic and ginger – 1 tablespoon (Skip it if you are making Jain)
Chopped green chili – 1 tbsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Cloves – 3 to 4
Cardamom – 2 pods
Cinnamon sticks – 1 inch
Salt to taste
Cashew nuts – 15 to 20
Coconut milk – 500 ml
Black pepper powder – ½tsp
Water – 500 ml
Video Recipe of Making Kerala Vegetable Stew
[ot-video type=”youtube” url=”https://youtu.be/qrOLqWYvP90″]
[blockquote style=”3″]Do you like our recipes? Please subscribe to WhatsApp NewsLetter and receive notification straight to your WhatsApp when new recipe posted. It will take less than a minute to subscribe.[/blockquote]
1. Soak the cashews for 15 minutes in the water. Make a fine paste and keep it aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add Cardamom, cloves and cinnamon stick. Saute it for few seconds.
3. Add ginger, garlic and green chili. Saute it for few seconds.
4. Add onion. Saute it for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add all the chopped vegetables. Add salt, mix well, cover it and let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes on medium heat.
6. Add coconut milk and water. Give it a good mix, cover it cook it again for 8 minutes or until all the veggies are tender.
7. Add black pepper powder and cashew paste. Mix well. Again cook it for 3 to 4 more minutes.
8. Kerala Vegetable Stew is ready. Serve it with Idiyappam or Steamed rice.