Instant pot Pumpkin puree From scratch – This recipe is Pure Pumpkin Puree recipe and Perfect recipe to be used in your favorite Pumpkin recipes.
Do you want to try Fresh Pumpkin Recipes and don’t know from where to start? Start from making pumpkin puree at home because it is the base for so many dessert recipes.
Ever wonder how to make pumpkin puree from scratch? It’s so easy and you can make an endless number of pumpkin recipes. Please keep reading to know what is pumpkin puree and how do you make pumpkin puree at home without the oven.
What is Pumpkin Puree?
Pumpkin Puree is a cooked pumpkin that is blended and mashed in a blender to create a smooth and silky pulp. Pumpkin Puree can be made in an oven, by steaming or boiling.
Why you should make your own pumpkin puree?
Sure buying canned pumpkin puree from a store is more convenient but believe me, making pumpkin puree at home in an Instant Pot is a lot easier process and the flavors are much better than the canned ones. Pies and bread made from homemade pumpkin puree taste fresher and better.
How to select Pumpkin for puree for baking and cooking?
The color, flavor, and texture will vary slightly depending on the variety of pumpkin you choose. There are many types of pumpkin you will find in the store like Pie pumpkin, Sugar pumpkin, Autumn gold, baby Pam, Lumina etc.
To make pumpkin puree, Pie pumpkin and sugar pumpkin are perfect. They are comparatively small, round in shape and orange in color but are sweeter and creamier in texture. They taste better than anything larger, like Jack-O-Lantern varieties. 2 to 6 pounds of pumpkin is a great selection to a make puree and out of that puree baked goods like pie and bread loaf.
What do you need to make Pumpkin Puree at home?
This recipe requires only one ingredient which is Pumpkin of course, Instant pot and a blender. That it! And you can enjoy this in so pumpkin recipes like in Pumpkin soup, any pumpkin dessert recipes, pumpkin cookies, Pumpkin cheesecake etc.
How to make Instant Pot Pumpkin Puree?
You can make Instant Pot Pumpkin Puree in a snap!! It’s so easy and simple. You don’t need to cut, de-seed or even pierce ahead of time. And making pumpkin puree in an instant pot works like a magic and is completely game changer. This is the best pumpkin puree recipe.
I have used 2.8-pound pumpkin which fit perfectly in my 6qt instant pot. If it’s bigger in size around 3.5 than don’t place trivet. You can place pumpkin directly with water and it still turns out great.
Basically, pumpkin should fit in your instant pot. And yes, time may vary depending on size. If you are using more than 3-pound pumpkin, increase the time from 13 minutes to 15 minutes.
- Once you select a right pumpkin for puree, give it a good rinse. Add water in the inner pot. Place trivet and pumpkin on the top.
- If the stem is in the way, you can turn your pumpkin sideways, or if it won’t fit, you can remove the trivet and place it right in the water.
- Close the lid, press manual button and add 13 minutes to the cook. After 13 minutes, turn off the IP and let the pressure cooker release naturally.
- Take out the pumpkin carefully, remove the stem, cut the pumpkin into a half, use a spoon to remove the seeds.
- Then peel the skin off. Add it into a food processor. Blend it until smooth, it won’t take more than a minute. If the mixture is not moving well, add ¼ cup of water. I didn’t face any problem so I didn’t use any water.
- That’s it!! Your Homemade Pumpkin Puree is ready for making Pie, bread, and variety of desserts.
You can store this puree in the refrigerator for up to a week or in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Some Important Notes for making Pumpkin puree in Instant Pot.
- Wash and clean your pumpkin very well.
- If your pumpkin is too tall to fit inside the instant pot, you will need to cut it into the half. Take the serrated knife and use it in a slow sawing motion.
- Cooking time may vary depending upon the size of the Pumpkin. Most sugar pumpkin and pie pumpkin cooks in 13 minutes under high pressure. However, some pumpkins are really dense and hard. And it will take a longer time to cook. In that case, just increase the cook time from 13 to 15 or maybe 20. Really depending on the quality of Pumpkin.
- If Pumpkin is not moving in a blender, add ¼ cup of water.
Pumpkin Puree in a pressure cooker
If you don’t have an Instant pot and want to make pumpkin puree, then you can make in a regular pressure cooker too. All the process will be the same. Just take 4 to 5 whistles and let pressure cooker cools down.
How to roast a pumpkin for pumpkin puree?
Roasting pumpkin is easy and simple. All you need is baking sheet and a pumpkin. But it takes more time to cook than in an Instant Pot.
Here are the easy steps for How to roast a Pumpkin.
- Preheat your oven to 375 Degree F.
- Cut the pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds and strings.
- Place halves cut side down, onto a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Roast for 50 to 60 minutes depending on the size, or until tender.
- Once you have the pumpkin roasted and cooked through, take it into a blender and make a puree. You can use an immersion blender, kitchen blender or food processor to get as smooth as possible.
How do you store Pumpkin Puree?
If you are not going to use Instant Pot Pumpkin Puree right away, you can store it in the fridge or freeze it. In the fridge, it will last up to a week and in a freezer, in an airtight container, it will last up to 6 months if stored correctly. To defrost the Pumpkin puree, you can thaw overnight in the refrigerator in a bowl of cold water.
What is the difference between Pumpkin Puree and Pumpkin Pie Filling?
Pumpkin Pie filling is a type of puree that is already sweetened, spiced, and ready to use for a baked dessert. Pumpkin puree is just an unsweetened puree without any added ingredients or spices.
Instant Pot Pumpkin Puree
- 2.8 pound /1 - Pie Pumpkin
- Wash and Clean Pumpkin very well.
- Add water in the inner pot.
- Place the trivet and pumpkin on top of the trivet. If the stem is in the way, you can flip the side.
- Place the lid on top and close it.
- Set the pressure valve to sealing.
- Press the manual button and set the time for 13 minutes under high pressure.
- Once 13 minutes is done and IP beeps, turn off the Instant Pot. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Carefully remove the pumpkin.
- Let it cool down a little bit, at least until you can handle it easily.
- Remove the stem, slice the pumpkin in half and with the help of spoon remove the seeds and strings.
- Peel the skin off.
- Take the pumpkin into a food processor and blend it until smooth. It won't take more than a minute.
- And your Instant Pot Pumpkin Puree is ready!!
Pin It For Later –