Instant Pot Mujadara
Instant Pot Mujadara (Mujaddara) - A signature Middle Eastern dish made with lentils and rice and garnished with crispy fried onions! It is gluten-free, vegan and one of the most comforting one pot meal! It is one of the favorite Vegetarian side dishes and it is a protein-rich filling meal.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Resting time 5 hours
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 5 People
- 1 cup - Lentil/Whole Masoor brown or green
- 1 cup - Basmati Rice
- 1 cup - Diced onions
- 1 1/2 tbsp - Coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp - Cumin seeds
- 7-8 cloves - Garlic
- 2 to 3 - Thai green chilies You can use any spicy green chilies according to your taste
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp - Oil
- 2 1/2 cup - Water
- 1 cup - Fried onions
- Cilantro or parsley for garnishing
Wash and Soak the Brown/green lentil at least 5 hours or overnight in hot water.
Wash and Soak Basmati rice for 30 minutes.
Coarsely grind the Coriander seeds, cumin seeds, garlic, and green chilies either in mortar and pastel or in a mixer grinder. Keep this masala paste aside.
Turn on the Saute mode, add diced onion, crushed Masala paste, soaked lentil, soaked rice, water and salt.
Cover the Instant pot with locking lid, vent valve on sealing position set the timer for 6 minutes under high pressure.
Once 6 minutes is done, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then quick release the remaining pressure.
Open the lid, add fried onions and cilantro. Fluff the rice with a fork.
That's it! Instant pot Mujadara is ready to devour!
Enjoy it with Yogurt and some salad on the side. Goes well with Tzatziki sauce
Substitution for White rice.
I have made fried onions in a big batch for my Vegetable Biryani couple of months back if you guys remember. I had some leftover in my freezer. So I have used that.
But if you don't have on hand, you can make fried onions from scratch for Mujadara either in instant pot before cooking rice and lentils or in a separate pan while lentils and rice are simmering, or you can use store bought ones too.
- You can use brown rice too instead of basmati rice. If you are using brown rice, you don't need to soak lentils. Increase the water ratio, instead of 2.5 cups, use 3 cups. Wash lentil and brown rice well and cook them(With all the other ingredients) for 22 minutes under high pressure. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then quick release the remaining pressure.
- You may also use quinoa instead of white rice. Just substitute quinoa(don't need to soak) with white rice. Follow the rest of the steps.
- If you want to cook this dish with wild rice, cook it for 40 minutes under high pressure. Increase the water quantity from 2.5 cups to 3.5 cups
Caramelizing onion in Instant Pot
Turn on saute mode on normal, Heat 1/4 cup of oil in instant pot, add 2 cups of sliced onions, fry them until onions are golden brown in color. Take them out and follow the recipe. If you see leftover oil from frying onions in the pot, you can skip adding extra oil.
For frying / Caramelizing onion in a separate pan, follow this recipe.
To make this Mujadara on stove top -
Simply cook this in a dutch oven or in the heavy bottom pan for about 15 minutes or until rice and dal is cooked perfectly. Check the water in between and add if needed. You may require more water.
Calories: 418kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 108mg | Potassium: 513mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 30IU | Vitamin C: 5.7mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 4.4mg