Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup is super cheesy, creamy and loaded with veggies. This Instant Pot Cheddar cheese Soup recipe gets ready under 20 minutes and is perfect for a chilly winter night.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 4 serving
For Soup base
- 2 cups Fresh Broccoli Cut into small florets
- 1 cup Carrot cut matchstick style
- 1/2 cup Onion
- 1/2 tsp Garlic
- 1.5 tbsp Butter
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1.5 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 1.5 cup Half and half
- 2 cups Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded around 6 oz.
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp Pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Parsley for garnishing Optional
For soup base
Turn on the Instant Pot on saute mode.
Melt butter. Add Garlic, bay leaf and onions. Saute them for about a minute.
Now add Carrots, Broccoli and vegetable stock. Mix. Cover the IP, vent valve on the sealing position. Press the manual/pressure button and set it for 3 minutes under high pressure.
Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes and then quick release the remaining pressure.
Heat butter in a pan. Add flour and cook it for a minute, stirring constantly.
Now add half and half, Whisk constantly and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. Make sure the mixture is lump-free.
Lets mix in everything in the soup base.
Open the Instant Pot.
Turn to saute mode on, add Roux, salt, pepper and dijon mustard, mix and cook for about 2 minutes or until soup starts bubbling.
Turn off the IP from sauteing mode. Now add cheese and mix thoroughly.
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese is ready.
Serve it immediately in a Bread bowl or with crusty bread and a nice salad on the sides.
- For stove top version, Follow the recipe as directed, but instead of pressure cooking the veggies, just let them simmer in the broth until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Then, move on with adding roux, half and half, and cheese as directed.
- Always use Good quality Cheddar Cheese.
- I prefer to use cheddar cheese for this soup, you can substitute it with cheese like Colby Jack, Pepper jack, etc.
- Just be sure to grate the cheese yourself. pre-grated cheese usually has a non-sticking agent which prevents it from melting as smoothly.
- Add cheese AFTER switching of the IP.
- You can use Dry mustard powder instead of Dijon mustard. Or you can completely skip Mustard too.
- To give a little spice punch, add Cayenne pepper or Paprika.
- This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
- Make sure to cut the broccoli in small florets.
- To make this soup gluten-free, substitute it flour with corn starch (add only 2 tbsp, and add more if needed).
- To make Vegan Broccoli cheese soup, use oil instead of butter, cream of coconut instead of half and half, and Vegan cheddar cheese instead of regular cheddar.
- I chose to cut my carrots up, matchstick style which took a while but you could also just used grated carrots or diced carrots.
- Add More stock or half and half if you like thin soup
- Leftover will last in the fridge for up to six days. You can also freeze this soup for up to 3 months. Let it cool completely, then transfer it to freezer-safe bags or container and freeze them. Thaw overnight in the fridge, or reheat directly from the freezer over low heat on the stovetop.
- Scroll above the recipe card for FAQS
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 486kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 24g | Cholesterol: 116mg | Sodium: 979mg | Potassium: 449mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 7080IU | Vitamin C: 45mg | Calcium: 539mg | Iron: 1mg