Tadka is a way of cooking in which spiced oil is used to season a dish. This is a classic, comforting lentil dish. It’s fantastic with fresh coriander leaves and hot naan bread. Try our Tadka Dal recipe. This Dal is made with Red lentils (Masoor dal).
Serving size – 3 to 4 people
Washed and soaked Masoor dal – 2 cups (soak it for 30 mins)
Green chilies – 2
Curry leaves – 4 to 5
Tomato – 1 cup
Oil – 2 tbsp
Hing – 1 pinch
Salt to taste
Pinch of turmeric
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Water – 5 cup
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Finely grated ginger and garlic – 1 tbsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Chili powder – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Red Whole chili – 1
Cilantro for garnishing.
1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add hing, green chilies and curry leaves.
2. Add chopped tomatoes. Saute it for 1 to 2 minutes on medium heat.
3. Add Soaked dal and water.
4. Add salt, turmeric, garam masala and chili powder. Mix it very well.
5. Close the lid and pressure cook it for three whistles on medium to high heat.
6. Allow pressure cooker to cool down
7. Open the lid and add lemon juice.
8. Take this Dal into a serving bowl.
9. Heat oil in a pan. Add whole red chilies, ginger – garlic, cumin seeds and red chili powder. Add this tempering to dal.
10. Garnish it with cilantro.