Cannelloni are often mistaken for what is known as “Manicotti” in many parts of the world. Wikipedia says on the matter: “Cannelloni is often erroneously referred to as Manicotti. Cannelloni is actually a filled Italian dinner crepe, as opposed to pre-rolled pasta. While manicotti and cannelloni are sometimes used interchangeably in preparing non-traditional versions of some dishes, in traditional Italian cooking cannelloni are made with pasta and manicotti with a specialized crepe pan, and the two have particular uses. Although both terms are plural nouns in Italian, the English term is often construed as singular, particularly when used as the name of the dish.”
There are so many recipes of Cannelloni over the internet. This is how I like to make Cannelloni. I am not saying this is the traditional way to make Cannelloni. Ricotta And Spinach Cannelloni is a very special Italian dish that warms your stomach. Stuffed Cannelloni is not only delicious but also fun to make. It is very creamy and it just melts in your mouth. My son, who is 8 years old, loves this recipe. He can it this 375 days. 🙂 In this recipe, I have used oven ready lasagna sheets (See the Picture below). I used Bechamel Sauce, but you can use red pasta sauce as well.
Lasagna sheet – 10
Chopped Spinach – 2 cups
Whole milk Ricotta cheese – 2 cups
Grated Parmesan cheese – 1/2 cup for the filling + 1/2 cup for topping
Garlic salt – 1/2 tsp
Italian Herbs – 1/2 tsp
Béchamel sauce – 1 1/2 cup
Preheat the oven @375 degree F.
1. Add lasagna sheet into the boiling water. Let it boil for one minute or until lasagna sheet gets soft. (Read the cooking instruction on the back side of the box if you are using regular lasagna sheets or tube pasta).
2. In another bowl, take ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, chopped spinach, garlic salt and Italian herbs. Mix all together very well.
3. Take one lasagna sheet. Spread generous amount of ricotta spinach mixture. Roll it up.
4. Arrange them on greased baking tray.
5. Pour the Béchamel Sauce over the rolled Cannelloni.
6. Sprinkle parmesan cheese and Chopped basil.
7. Bake them into the preheated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes.
8. Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni is ready. Serve it hot with Garlic bread and Salad. Enjoy.