Pita is a soft, slightly leavened flat bread baked from wheat flour. It is used in many Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines and resembles other slightly leavened flat breads such as south Asian flat breads, Central Asian Naan and Pizza crust.
Pita bread is a middle eastern flat bread that puff up when baked in a hot oven, but collapse as they cool down, the pocket in pita bread is created by steam, which puffs up the dough, as the bread cools and flattens, a pocket is left in the middle.
You can make so many things out of this pocket pita bread such as falafel sandwich, pita bread pizza, you can stuff it with potato patty and with salads…..
Here is the recipe of Whole wheat Pita Bread https://www.cookingcarnival.com/whole-wheat-pita-bread/
This recipe will make 7 pita
Active dry yeast – 1 packet
Sugar – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
All purpose flour – 4 cup
Oil – 2 tbsp
Warm water – 1 cup
Preheat oven @ 450 degree F. Place Pizza stone in oven for 30 minutes.
1. Take warm water in a bowl. Add yeast and sugar. Stir until dissolved. Let it sit for 10 minutes until water is frothy.
2. Take flour in broad bowl. Add salt and oil. Mix it well. Add yeast water and knead soft and sticky dough. Add more water if needed.
3. Grease a Bowl with oil. Put dough in a bowl. Apply oil over dough. Cover it and let it rise for 1 hour. Rest it in a warm place. You will see the difference after 1 hour. The dough will rise almost double in size.
4. Dust the working surface and knead the dough again. And divide the dough into 7 equal parts.
5. Cover it and let it rest for another 45 minutes.
6. Take a rolling board, dust it with some flour and roll the ball like chapati. Not too thin like chappati.
7. Bake rolled pita into preheated oven at 450 degree F. for 7 to 8 minutes or until pita is golden brown in color.
8. Pita will puff like a balloon. Do the same process with remaining balls.
9. Cover it Immediately in kitchen towel.
If you are looking for whole wheat pita bread recipe, Click Here