Palak Masoor Dal / Spinach Lentil Soup recipe is a nutritious and wholesome dish. It is rich in protein and minerals. In this dal, ginger, garlic and chili paste give very nice aroma and flavor.
Masoor is Brown skinned lentils which are orange inside. They are high in proteins. Spinach on the other hand is well known for its antioxidants properties and rich source of Iron and other vitamins. So together it forms a very nutritious and wholesome meal. My family is big fan of this combination, specially my Son. We make this Palak Masoor Dal once in a week. I cook this dal in pressure cooker to make it fast and easy.
Serve the Palak Masoor Dal for a simple and healthy weeknight dinner along with Plain Paratha or Jeera rice.
Serves 4 people
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Ginger paste – 1 tsp
Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Chili paste – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Finely chopped tomatoes – 1 cup
Finely chopped onion – 1 cup
Soaked Masoor – 2 cups
Chopped spinach – 2 cups
Salt to taste
Red Chili powder – 1 tsp (Depending upon how spicy your green chili is)
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Cumin and coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Cream for garnishing
Cilantro / coriander for garnishing
1. Soak Masoor for at least 30 minutes.
2. In a pressure cooker, heat oil and ghee. Add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
3. Add Ginger – chili and garlic paste. Saute them for few minutes.
4. Add chopped onion and tomatoes. Saute it for 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Add Masoor, 3 cups of water and all the spices with salt. Stir well.
6. Add chopped spinach and mix well.
7. Close the pressure cooker lid. Cook Dal for 4 whistles (We like overcooked dal).
8. Let the pressure cools down. Open the lid and add lemon juice and stir well. Check the seasoning.
9. Palak Masoor Dal is ready. Serve them with Jeera rice, Naan or Plain Paratha.